Partitions....

Associate
Putting a fresh HD into a pc today (250Gig). Is it worthwhile partitioning it to run windows on its own partition? If so what sort of size would you suggest?

Man of Honour
I don't partition my hard drives as I don't really see the point for my uses but it certainly can make it easier if you need a re-install of Windows etc.

I'd probably suggest somewhere around 15-20gb, this is assuming that you will only be installing Windows and a few applications onto the partition, games to go on a separate partition.

Permabanned
Yep, create a 6-10Gb C: partition for windows and a 10-50Gb D: partition for programs games (Size depends on how many games you have). Then use what’s left over as E: for storage

Then I would suggest you create a nLite install CD/DVD from your XP disc as you can then change the default install directory from: C:/Program Files ---> D:/Program Files. This makes life easier as it then means everything you install will automatically install onto D:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files so their is no need to keep changing the install directory! This will keep C: running nice and fast.

Associate
Im just thinking about how to sort out my partitions once i get my new raptor was thinking of the below

- Raptor ----------
C:24gb - Windows + Apps
D:50gb - Game Installs + Steam

- SATAs ----------
E:120gb - Downloads / Application Installers / Swap File (3072)
F:250gb - Movies/ Tv Eps / DVDs / Swap File (3072)

Permabanned
Phunky said:
Im just thinking about how to sort out my partitions once i get my new raptor was thinking of the below

- Raptor ----------
C:24gb - Windows + Apps
D:50gb - Game Installs + Steam

- SATAs ----------
E:120gb - Downloads / Application Installers / Swap File (3072)
F:250gb - Movies/ Tv Eps / DVDs / Swap File (3072)

Windows works best having it's own (small) partition. You would be better having your Apps on the same partition as your game installs and having a much smaller (10Gb<) C: partition imho.

Associate
Right well i think im going to use the following after reading some articles about XP and its Paging Files.

74gb Raptor 10,000RPM
C:10gb - Windows Only
D:50gb - Application and Game Installs
E:14gb - Steam

Sata I Drives 7,200RPM
F:250gb - Storage
G:115gb - Incomimg and Storage
H:5gb - Pagefile / Swapfile (not sure if its bad to share pagefile and swapfile)

Associate
OP
Jeff Crawly said:
Then I would suggest you create a nLite install CD/DVD from your XP disc as you can then change the default install directory from: C:/Program Files ---> D:/Program Files. This makes life easier as it then means everything you install will automatically install onto D:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files so their is no need to keep changing the install directory! This will keep C: running nice and fast.

Not sounding stupid here...but how do you do that?

Permabanned
Phunky said:
Right well i think im going to use the following after reading some articles about XP and its Paging Files.

74gb Raptor 10,000RPM
C:10gb - Windows Only
D:50gb - Application and Game Installs
E:14gb - Steam

Sata I Drives 7,200RPM
F:250gb - Storage
G:115gb - Incomimg and Storage
H:5gb - Pagefile / Swapfile (not sure if its bad to share pagefile and swapfile)

You would get better performance keeping the Pagefile on the 10K raptor (C: drive for best performance as the C: drive is the fastest partition because it's on the outer rim of the platter ie the fastest part)
Swapfile is a different beast Swapfiles were used by Microsoft prior to Windows 95. From Windows 95 onwards, all Windows versions use only paging files. The correct term for the file used to create virtual memory in current operating systems is paging file, not swapfile.

Wildkard said:
Is that worth getting?

Absolutely, it's a fantastic program for creating slipstreamed and auto-running XP install CD/DVD's! And as already stated you can alter the default install directory :D

Associate
Jeff Crawly said:
And as already stated you can alter the default install directory :D
Does this REALLY work though?

By that I mean does it work for EVERY subsequent program you install after reinstalling XP?

I've had experience in the past of changing the registry to achieve this and some programs still deciding to install automatically to c:\Program Files.

This becomes a real problem if, as others have stated above, you have a relatively small c:\ partition...

Associate
Aha! See now thats why I'm not going to be doing this 'have a small c drive malarky' when I reinstall soon.

I've had 10 gig C drive for a while now and I totally regret it. If the moving of Program Files was 100% water tight then fine but sooner or later you're going to find yourself running out of room having such small primary partitions.

Back
Top Bottom