Multiple AP's

Associate
I currently have a standard set of equipment I use for this job, but its what ive come up with myself. I ws wondering if anybody who has good knowledge of access points and wifi in general can come up with a different/better solution.

router connected to ISP at 1 side of hotel on bottom floor

All the bottom floor is open, with a few open rooms.(building is approx 30m*25m
The next floor up has 9 rooms, spread out over the same size as bottom floor. with 2 cupboards (used to fit AP's in) 1 on each side of the building.

The top floor is a copy of the 2nd floor.

There is another smaller building (approx 20m * 15m) approx 5 metres away from the main building. This has 1 floor below ground level, and 2 floors above.

All rooms must have sufficient wifi access. |Previously ive used 5 netgear AP's in 'Multi-point' mode connected to a router. however in this case ive estimated i will need 7 AP's. but you cant have more than 5 in Multipoint mode at a time.

Any ideas?

Associate
how about each building using different SSIDs?

and actually on a different 'network' which is then bridged to the other building? to the other wireless network on the other SSID which then goes to the router and ISP...

Hope this makes sense, if not i can try to re-iterate!

Alex

Soldato
if the buildings are resonablly modern there should be plenty of ducts with pull ropes between them. putting cat5 through these should be a doddle.

Associate
OP
not allowed to use any cables at all. i wanted to put a cable from the router across to the other building, then run an AP off this.
as just_grass suggested thisd was an idea, just seems a waste of access points :-/
i would prefer to split the network a little, as if 1 AP crashed near the router you need to restart them all in sequence of distance away from the router.
Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Caporegime
As just_grass suggested, split the two places into two networks, with bridging devices connecting them.
Doesn't save on the number of devices you need, but reduces the number you'd need to restart.

Associate
OP
another fewquestions.
1 - iv been using the WG602v3 previously, and using them in multi-point mode. it seems the new rangemax versions do not support multi-point mode. but i've not bothered ordering any to test them. has anybody else tried the rangemax series AP's?
2- do any of the netgear routers support multipoint mode? so you can use them as part of the same wireless network as your other aps?

Back
Top Bottom