• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

help me decide

Associate
hello, my first post, alltho i have been reading for weeks :D

im in the process of upgradeing my PC atm.

only thing i dont want to change is my gfx card (Sapphire Radeon x800pro AGP (256mb) etc) couse its working superb for me (and i dont have the money to spend on a new card, couse im a uni student).

these are the cpus i have been looking for and i cant really decide. dunno if i plan on OC, if at all. bu theres allways a chance :)

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2000MHz) 512KB L2 cache socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1800MHz) 512KB L2 cache Socket 939, Venice core

as i have been a pentium user for all my life i know nothing of AMD cpus. thses 2 are at my price range, so can u guys give a noob some advice, please :)

mobo is going to be: Epox Socket 939 EP-9NDA3I
bit later on im upgradeing my ram whit 2 of these: Corsair DDRAM PC-3200 400MHz 512MB CL2.5

Associate
OP
after reading bit more about amd cpus, i see that the 3200+ (2000MHz) is bit faster, but the second one will clock better. can the first one be clocked good enyway, even tho its not venice core ?

Soldato
Hi

Welcome to the forums :)

Are you sure the 3200+ isn't the Venice core? If you're buying a new CPU then get the Venice core

I'd personally go for the 3200+ out of the two. They clock to about the same levels but the 3200+ has the 10x multiplier which makes it easier to get higher clocks without needing a particuarly good board.

If you don't want to clock much above 2.7Ghz then look at the ASRock Dual motherboard. (The stock BIOS maxes out at about 270HTT but you can get third party BIOSes that go further). The voltage options on this board are rather limited though

The main benefit with the ASRock board is that it natively supports AGP & PCI-E. This means that you can use your existing X800Pro and then easily upgrade your graphics card at a later point.

Associate
OP
yes the 3200+ isnt venice, the venice version costs that much more, that i would go over budget :(

but found out the ASRock mobo costs lil bit less than the Epox one i proposed :)

so if i dont OC my cpu and stay at stock speeds... i should be fine whit the ASRock Dual mobo and 3200+ amd ? (ok, mybe lil bit of OC will be done if i have spare time :) )

Associate
OP
then ill go order....

good thing is now i have a backup, if i ever need to change my gfx (that day wount be very far off :D)

so 3200+ and ASRock Dual mobo.

TY again

Back
Top Bottom