• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cedar Mills - What Chipset???

Associate
I have searched endlessly trying to find out what chipset will be needed to run the Cedar Mill chips, Intel say that they cant give out information about other manufacturers boards and can only give advice on thier own :rolleyes:

I have a AA8XE and I really dont want to swap it as it can do upto 400fsb, is solid as a rock and can deliver some serious voltage (1.95v Vcore :D ) so will 65nm parts work on the 925XE chipset or is it going to have to be one of the new 955/975 boards.

Part of me says it should work on the 925XE as its basically a redesigned 6-series but then part of me says that it will probly need a bios update and seeing as the AA8XE is a discontinued product there isnt going to be much chance of that.

Anyone know for sure?

Soldato
See if Abit do a bios upgrade for it.

I know Intel made a lot of changes after the 925XE chipset hence the 945, 955 then 975 chipsets.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply, I have emailed Abit and am waiting for there response, it wouldn't be too bad if there was a decent board to upgrade to but the AW8-Max has had mixed reviews and the Asus boards are not to my liking from bad experience and also there voltage dropping issues.

Soldato
well you would need atleast the 945 chipset to work the cedar's

afaik the 925s dont support any variant of dualcores, 8 or 9 series.

Associate
OP
Very true, but not all Cedars are dual core, there are Cedar revisions of the entire 6 series providing the same speed chip with the same cache but using the 65nm production process, and they seem to be clocking like crazy.

Soldato
doh, i was thinking preslers for some reason.

im obsessed with the preslers. :p

i was thinking of purchasing the 631 after the results on xs.

mind you with the matx abit i had, before i updated the bios to support 65nm chips, it detected the 920 as a celeron D :| but dualcore though.

Associate
Cedar mill ARENT dual core, the Presler are dual core.

Lowest Chipset to run a presler - 865 (P5P800SE) £40-50
Cedar mill is 955x+ AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom