Hd Cloning

Associate
I have 2 pcs, i want to upgrade one of the pc's hd without reinstalling xp.

Can i just take it out put it in the other computer and copy the contents accross to the new hd then put it back in the original pc?

Permabanned
Best and fastest way is to simply place both blank hd and 2-be cloned hd on seperate IDE channels on your fastest PC, then fire up Nortons Ghost in DOS and select drive clone.

Associate
OP
Well that didnt work it boots in safe mode but not normally, i get the BSOD

That was a clean install too on a 20GB Maxtor,

How come the PC like the maxtor but not the 164 GB Hitachi wtf

Associate
By any chance was your old drive IDE and your new drive SATA? This won't work without doing a 'Repair' from the Win XP CD, but how well it will work I don't know. When changing the system drive from one interface to another, it's best to reinstall.

Associate
Dunky said:
By any chance was your old drive IDE and your new drive SATA? This won't work without doing a 'Repair' from the Win XP CD, but how well it will work I don't know. When changing the system drive from one interface to another, it's best to reinstall.

Are you certain that a repair reinstall of a PATA disk cloned to a SATA disk is necessary if adding a new SATA drive to a system. I would have thought that as long as the SATA drivers have previously been installed that the cloned disk would be fine without a repair re-install. I was planning to add a SATA disk to my system this week so I'd be very interested in your further comments.

On another point completely I would recommend Acronis True Image as a better program than Norton Ghost for cloning.

Associate
Oh really? I didn't know that. I had great troubles with an earlier version of Ghost and bought True Image 6 as an alternative. I used it a good number of times and have always been impressed by its speed and ease of use.

I've just bought True Image 9 in anticipation of cloning my current PATA drive to a new SATA. Given that I've installed the SATA drivers into XP SP2 do you foresee any problems in doing this?

Associate
Leporello said:
Are you certain that a repair reinstall of a PATA disk cloned to a SATA disk is necessary if adding a new SATA drive to a system. I would have thought that as long as the SATA drivers have previously been installed that the cloned disk would be fine without a repair re-install. I was planning to add a SATA disk to my system this week so I'd be very interested in your further comments.

On another point completely I would recommend Acronis True Image as a better program than Norton Ghost for cloning.

When I used Windows more extensively, never tried it when I went from PATA to SATA however I've got a feeling that it may not work since any physical references to the boot disc may be altered (different interface, etc.). It may or may not work, but the best thing todo with a new hard drive is a clean install.

Associate
Leporello said:

I to would recommend True Image and you can even get a free trial for 30 days! True Image is one of the best peices of software ever written!

Oh!- and I once cloned an IDE drive to SATA with it and it worked fine!

Associate
I have used Ghost for several years for cloning drives, and it is usually fine.

The only time I can recall having a problem was cloning a RAID0 array (2 x 74Gb Raptors) - but it could have been Partition Magic's fault. But I never did find out the problem 'cos I ditched one of the Raptors.

Associate
Just cloned my work pc drive from 20gb to 40gb using Acronis True Image trial.

So easy.

Norton Ghost was a load of hassle and I gave up when it started to report fatal errors...

You decide :D

Soldato
polomint said:

So easy.

Norton Ghost was a load of hassle and I gave up when it started to report fatal errors...

which version did you download? workstation or server for windows?

sorry for old thread bump, but i didnt really wana start a new one since this one is good information...

Ive got a 200gig 8mb SATAI drive and i want to close to a 250gig 16mb SATAII drive would this be easy?

the 200gig NCQ ON is split up into 3 partitions, 10gig / 10gig / rest (games etc)
the 250gig NCQ OFF will be split up into 3 too, 20gig / 20gig / rest (games etc)

currently only XP, but will probably try XP64 too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
polomint said:

So easy.

I have cloned 15k U320SCSI's,SATA & PATA with Symantec Ghost 8 Corp. without any hassle.

Associate
monaco87 said:
Powerquest Drive Image has always served me well.
It continues to serve me well as I still use Drive Image 7.
I used to use Drive Image 2002 before that and both have never let me down and have saved my bacon a few times :cool:

Back
Top Bottom