First time you herd quality sound?

Soldato
Yesterday on my system.

At least I think it was quality sound but I've only heard rubbish before.

I've never owned a soundcard but yesterday fitted X-Fi Fatal1ty and a set of Aego M speakers. Well chuffed:)

Soldato
My brothers Sennheiser HD something or other Ovation cans. Dunno the model but they were about £150. Connected to his Sherwood CD without headphone amp, so not at their best, but still awesome compared to what I'd heard before.

Soldato
Was in a demo room at Richer Sounds and they had some Mordaunt Shorts floorstanders which sounded amazing. I bought my speakers based on that demo, though couldnt stretch to the ones I had heard.

Soldato
Well, comparatively, the first time I made this system and listened to something in 5.1 sound, on my NForce Audio. Not audiophillic, but much better than anything I'd used before, and I'm hoping my integrated on my new asrock will be good too, as I think its meant to be high def.

Soldato
When my brother got a brand new Arcam system a few years ago - it blew my mind. I immediately got into hi-fi kit and started blowing thousands on the stuff. My final system was a Marantz SE CD Player and amp with some Polk Reference Theatre speakers. Was a stunner. Unfortunately I had to sell it all when I left the UK, although my best mate took the CD/AMP so I know they have a good home :)

More recently, I got an X-Fi XtremeMusic and some Sennheiser EH250's for Xmas. Now the headphones have broken in it blows me away - I didn't think MP3's could sound as good.....even fairly low quality ones sound amazingly good!

Associate
First time I heard quality sound was when I heard my mates Linn Sondek for the first time (I was 16 at the time). To use the cliche it really blew me away.
After that the next times I experienced something similar was the first time I heard a well set up system using Quad electrostatic speakers - fantastic mid range and treble, then I visited an engineer friend of mine who'd built his own subwoofer to go with HIS set of electrostatics.

I never achieved a similar system myself but I did have a Quad 77 system for a while which was very musical but a bit limiting. I sold it and went for my current A/V system which I'm quite happy with.

DinAlt

Soldato
Ages ago, my dads a DJ so ive pretty much grew up with decent gear. The place he works has just put a £10000 (i think he said) Bose sound system in, and its gorgeous.

Caporegime
Grew up with a Technics seperates system so it's always been there. Personally it was when I got a Denon stereo receiver, and from there I've always wanted decent sound.

Soldato
Like Caged, I grew up with a pretty good system at home (my Dad's Pioneer bits), we can't really afford much expensive kit, my parents would like some Bose kit at the moment, and my Dad likes to reminisce about his Denon system years back. I got my Technics separates a few years ago, and compared to anything other than my Dad's, that really did impress me. :)

Soldato
I grew up with:
Linn Sondek LP12
Meridian 101/2x105 pre/power set up
B&W DM7Mk2's

Pretty much the creme de la creme from the late 70s and there is very little now that would be better than the amps.

Soldato
Senn HD-595 headphones + X-fi fatality headphone jack...

Blown away, and then after 2 weeks of burn in time even smoother;) Register @ headfi forums and watch your wallet go theres bods on there spending £1-2k every few months on headphone amplifiers and headphones and still searching for hi-fidelity heaven.

Soldato
When I upgraded to my mission/cyrus combo. I finally sat back and said, ahh this is what music should sound like. My LP deck is rather good too, although I need to mount it properly to get the best sound out of it.

I could still go better, and would very much like to, but I can't on my student budget.

Associate
I was impressed the first time I plugged my Grado Alessandro Music Series 1 headphones into my Marantz CD-63SE (CD player). That's pretty low on the audiophile ladder too, I'd love to spend some time listening to some high end equipment, it must be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom