New Graphic Ciggeret box designs. (Wanring: might grose some people out)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
These are the images that are going to be put on every ciggeret box sold in Australia.
If you can pull a ciggerette out of a box and smoke it with one of these images on it you will have to be a bad smoker.

I know its not happening in the UK but i got a request to post these up by someone :)

Front of the pack
0.5A4

Back of the pack
0.3D6C

Front of the pack

Back of the pack
2.150C

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I don't think it'll have a significant effect on current smokers. Hand in pocket, grab hold of packet, hand covers packet images, cigarette out and into mouth, packet back into pocket.

That's not to say that I'm not in favour of such tactics though, I'm all for it. :)

Soldato
can't see it having much effect to most smokers. In this day and age everyone must know the risks of smoking, so i can't imagine a few graphic images making that much difference.

Soldato
pyro said:
I suggest we make ciggie packs with images such as "smoking is cool" "smokers get more chicks".

noo!! you'll awaken the spirit of the long dead reposts :D I remember a long time back exactly as you say, packet designs with "smoking is cool! quotes :D

Don
sometimes smoking is good for you!

linky

wikipedia (and my doctors!)
Smoking producing a proctetive mucus to form on your colon. When this protective mucus is reduced (by not smoking), the bacteria in the colon can attack the colon lining causing the immune system to become active and fight the bacteria. For unknown reasons, this causes damage to the lining (ulcers) of the colon walls in one or more places. Resumption of nicotine either through patches or smoking can extend remission time although the benefits versus the other health risks of smoking are questionable.

!!

i decided not to smoke tho, and just had mine ripped out :o

Soldato
VaderDSL said:
noo!! you'll awaken the spirit of the long dead reposts :D I remember a long time back exactly as you say, packet designs with "smoking is cool! quotes :D

That's cuz it is :cool:

Soldato
BrenOS said:
I'm not a smoker but I think that's a step too far.

Why?

I don't think it's far enough. They should make cigarette packets out of asbestos, line the inside paper with asbestos too. Everyone is scared of asbestos, no one gives it a second thought. Now that'll stop people smoking.

Soldato
Doohickey said:
Why?

I don't think it's far enough. They should make cigarette packets out of asbestos, line the inside paper with asbestos too. Everyone is scared of asbestos, no one gives it a second thought. Now that'll stop people smoking.

Because it's a choice.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
BrenOS said:
So why try to effect it?

Those pictures cause me more offense than second hand smoke.

Try say that to the guy here in Australia that got half his toungue removed due to cancer caused by second hand smoke

Soldato
To be fair, I agree with BrenOS, granted smoking can cause cancer, but the pictures shown are extreme cases, if we have pictures like that on packets of cigarettes, why do we not have car adverts showing bits of bodies after a small child is run down by a speeding idiot?, or alcohol adverts with people dead in the road after being beaten to death by a gang of drunken idiots?

Imo a warning about smoking is fine, everyone who smokes knows the risks now adays, just leave it as that, as BrenOS says it is a choice, as long as smoking is banned from public places I'm fine with people smoking in their own homes and what not.

Associate
They don't put gross pictures of liver damage on pint glasses. Nor do they plaster cars with grapic images of accidents. Pork pies do not come packaged with images of the morbidly obese, fused to their sofas by their own skin and filth. So why are they doing this?

[Edit]didn't see Vader's' post making the same point.

Last edited:
Soldato
BrenOS said:
So why try to effect it?

Those pictures cause me more offense than second hand smoke.

As a non-smoker why would those pictures cause you offence?

And why try to affect it? It's public health promotion. Note promotion, not enforcement. And the government is bound to promote public health, especially for something that is proven to cause such problems. Until these measures cause more harm than smoking does itself, I can't see why it's a problem. It's a smoker's choice to ignore these images, which, as I said earlier I think most will anyway.

VaderDSL said:
To be fair, I agree with BrenOS, granted smoking can cause cancer, but the pictures shown are extreme cases, if we have pictures like that on packets of cigarettes, why do we not have car adverts showing bits of bodies after a small child is run down by a speeding idiot?, or alcohol adverts with people dead in the road after being beaten to death by a gang of drunken idiots?

To be equally fair, smoking isn't really the same as driving. Sure enough, 'accidental' accidents of course happen, but in the example that you mention, that is dangerous driving. If you drive carefully, you won't have an accident. You can't say the same for smoking carefully now... Same goes for drinking, if you drink responsibly, or at least know your limits, then nothing bad should come of it.

Medically speaking it actually does not matter if you smoke one cigarette each day or 20 a day. There is no 'careful' in smoking. If you smoke at all, you may as well smoke a packet a day, full strength cigarettes (if that is to your taste of course).

Soldato
But if I smoke 1 cigarette very occasionally, my teeth will not fall out nor am I likely to suddenly develop large cists on my gums and lips :D

However if I take a car out tomorrow I am very capable of killing someone straight up, even if I am careful :)

I believe you can smoke carefully :) and do not believe that plastering pictures of extreme medical conditions will actually do anything useful.

Back
Top Bottom