Ubuntu help

Permabanned
I am going to install Ubuntu and i have 2 hard discs (Sata). Windows XP is already one one Disc. How easy is it so that when i start the pc i can choose which OS to use? It has to be in real noob fashion as i have never used linux before. Thanks for any advice.

Associate
Well usually the most trouble free way without affecting MBRs and other vital files that windows needs is to install linux on one drive and windows on the other. This way they live in separate harmony :p , to choose which OS you want to boot from you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot priority to either Disk 1 - say XP or Disk 2 - Linux. This may be a pain but I found it easier than using the linux boot menu which never worked for me.

Associate
I just chose to install a boot loader onto a floppy (There's use in the old things yet!) and toss that in whenever i want to use ubuntu... that would be if my install didn't keep crashing trying to launch activeX or whatever it is.. I haven't had any boot issues so i guess it doesn't modify anything this way?

When installing you just choose a floppy as the alternate destination for Grub/Lilo during the install bootloader stage. It gives you the command to do it onscreen.

Caporegime
Amleto said:
whatever you do, don't try a dual boot off the same hdd/different partition. I had a bad experience with GRUB ...

Blah. I have two PCs set up exactly like that with no problem, as do countless others.

You can't generalise one bad experience to include everyone.

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
Blah. I have two PCs set up exactly like that with no problem, as do countless others.

You can't generalise one bad experience to include everyone.

It was one bad experience, but it was over about twenty installs, using a non-corrupt install cd. Make of that what you will :)

Back
Top Bottom