Work Advice Needed

Permabanned
I work for company with about 75-100 people working there. I am one of two graphic designers who do all the artworks for customers, and produce positives for the factory to print etc. My job is also to produce artworks for the number plate section of the company etc.

In Dec 05 my father died suddenly. He was only 51, and it has hit everyone hard. I still live at home with my mum and until he died, my dad. When he passed, I had one week of work left before Christmas. Obviously, I didn't go back into work - and it wasn't until the week after work resumed at the company that I went back. Overall, excluding Holidays for Christmas, I was off for 10 Days, self certified (no sick pay).

I did about 2 weeks of work, before the fact that my dad had died hit me. At which point I felt it very difficult to get up and do anything. Starting the third week of going back, Monday was a no go. Tuesday I managed to get into work but it was a hard day. Short tempered, very tired, and just feeling like I didnt belong there. The rest of that week, and a further 2 weeks I did not go into work. I went to the doctors on the Wednesday and got a sick note for the time off, and was prescribed anti-depressants. During the time of me being off my mood was very up and down. After my sick note ran out, I went back into work. I managed 2 weeks, and then the start of this week, I have again not been in to work.

So far management have been fine with me having the time off telling me that they understand etc. However, I spoke to one of my friends at work this evening and she said that my manager had asked her to have a word with me because he needs me to go back to work because. I had planned to take the next two days off work , and was considering going back to the doctors to see if he could perhaps do something to further help me deal with my depression, and possibly sign me off work for a bit longer.

At the end of the phone call, the girl I was talkin to says that my manager said "he really needs you to come back into work cause he says its not fair on mark (the guy i work with) and they are trying to run a business". Although they have been ok with my time off so far i still found this comment a little heartless.

I am at a loss of what to do. At the moment, I am reluctactly going in tomorrow now. I really do not want to. The fact that I do not like the place I work anyway is not making matters better. In an ideal world i'd tell them to shove the job up their arses but that would leave me jobless, and moneyless.

Geh, dunno if ive made my points or not - what advice would you give me to deal with it?

Soldato
First off, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. :(

I would firstly talk to the doc again. See if he would recommend more time off / counseling etc. If that is the case, then politely inform your employer that you are persuing the recommended course of action. If not, then you might not have much choice but to go back to work if you want to keep your job.

If you take more time off without a doc's note, then I don't think your job will be yours for too long.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go speak to your doctor and get signed off for a bit longer. You're obviously not ready to go back. While you're taking time out, think about what you're doing and how you can change things - look for a job you'd rather be doing, for example. Don't go back if you're not ready because you'll do and say things you wouldn't if you were feeling better and possible end up doing something daft like walking out, and then you'll be more depressed :(

From your employers POV, they are trying to run a business and though it's hard for you personally at the moment, they have to be business-like about it and this other guy might be giving the boss a hard time cos he's carrying more work. If you are signed off for x amount of time they can consider their options like bringing in someone else to lighten the load, but it's unfair for them to not know if you're going to be there or not and makes it harder for them to function properly. I'd speak to the doctor then go and speak to your boss, tell him you need time to grieve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom