Sun Ultra 10 - Wireless

Associate
Hello,

I have a Sun Ultra 10 which I would like to get to work with my wireless router. Solaris 9 does'nt support the wireless NIC I have.

What options are open to me?

Thanks.

David.

Associate
Have you tried Solaris 10? Other than that you could try a linux distro which supports SPARC (I'm sure that there are a few that do, but the one that comes to mind is Debian or Gentoo).

Associate
OP
I'll have to have a look at Solaris 10, I dont think it has much better support though. I cant change OS, I have ran FreeBSD sparc edition in the past fine but what im doing has to be done on Solaris so i'll need to find a solution that allows me to use that.

Associate
Hmmm ok. I wonder if Ndiswrapper is supported on Solaris / SPARC? I have to admit I've seen very few if any standalone native drivers for Solaris for any hardware device (Linux does have quite a few floating around if you know where to look). Apart from a driver, a possible hardware solution would be a Wireless bridge between ethernet and your router. Obviously a software solution would be better. What wireless NIC do you have anyway?

Associate
OP
Hi,

What would I need to implement the hardware solution? I thought about trying a Wireless Access Point but dont think that would work connected directly to the ethernet port.. I would need a switch aswell.

Associate
Wireless bridge basically turns an ethernet device on your computer into a wireless device. An Access Point is really for providing Wireless users access to a wired network. A wireless bridge doesn't require any drivers (OS just sees your ethernet port, router sees a wireless device). If you need to configure it, then I think most have a web based interface on the bridge itself.

So all you would need is a Wireless bridge and a cable to connect it to your machine. Have a look here (first item looks good): http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Wireless_Ethernet_Bridges.html

Back
Top Bottom