XBox 360 Media Remote

Soldato
Ok bear with me as this is a long one.

I have a 360 and the big remote.

In the same room I have a HTPC with IRman and Girder and I also have a Harmony 525 programmable remote.

I want to control my PC with the HArmony but need to set up a template remote to control it. I know the 360 remote can control both the 360 and an MCE. So I want to first setup girder by learning the media 360 remote buttons and then I will map the same buttons to the harmopny. My harmony already can control the 360.

But as I don't have an MCE i'm n ot 100% sure on how it works. ie if I did have an MCE and I pressed On on the remote wouldn't it turn both the 360 and the MCE on, ie wouldn't the devices get a bit mixed up or is there some way of switching the remote a bit like you do with a standard all in one programmable remote?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
On my PC MCE remote the only buttons that can be programmed are volume +/- and TV standby as far as I know...I can dig out the instructions to do this if it helps?

Soldato
OP
Phil99 said:
On my PC MCE remote the only buttons that can be programmed are volume +/- and TV standby as far as I know...I can dig out the instructions to do this if it helps?

Nah your misunderstanding me. I don't want to program the MCE remote.

Soldato
Ah, I see what you mean now.

I think what could help with this is that you can give the remote a device ID (number 0-9) then you have to tell the PC which remote to use and it will ignore all unprogrammed/other number remotes.

You can tell the PC which remote to use using the Media Centre power toys from MS, can't remember how to set the remote to a particular number but I'm not sure if you can use the XBOX remote in the same way, or if you can tell the 360 MCE to only accept signals from programmed remotes.

I think that would help in what you want to acheive anyway, so you have a profile for a programmed PC MCE remote and another profile for the XBOX MCE remote?

Back
Top Bottom