Loss of connectivity within LAN but access to the Internet

Associate
Hi there,

I have a bit of a problem. Last night I decided to extend my home network. I have a wireless router connected to my cable modem. To that router I have one PC directly connected to it and a "hub" (or is it a switch? - I'm still not sure...I will come to that in a mo) connected to one of the other ports on the router. On this "hub", I have two PCs connected to it, and a long ethernet cable is used to connect the "hub" (or switch?) to the router.

Once connected, I was pinging away quite happily from PC to PC, and able to connect to the Internet. However, now I'm unable to ping any PC ("Request timed out."), but on all PCs I'm ABLE to connect to the Internet.

All clients on the network are on a static address. All cables used were straight through ones, and as mentioned, it was working before.

I'm wondering whether I have to use a crossover cable between the "hub" (or switch?) to the router. On the "hub" it says "5 Port switch", but it's only one of those cheapy ones from PC World so I'm not entirely convinced it is a full on switch! Also, I'm not sure whether my router is a REAL router! The reason I say that is because physically, all my router is (can't speak for any others) is a switch with routing capabilities. Therefore if this "router" is an intelligent switch, then it probably resides on the same OSI layer as my so called "5 port switch", hence probably having to use a crossover cable.

Unfortunately the length between the "5 port switch" and "router" is about 20m and I can't manage to source a 20m crossover cable to test nor have I got the tools to make one :(

The weird thing is that all the PCs can connect to the Net, but none can connect/ping to each other locally. I have even tried pinging from the router itself to all the other PCs but no luck.

I have tried so many things to try and get it working and if I listed it all here then I'd be here all day. I'm just looking for some advice on where I might be going wrong.

I appreciate that you may need more info, so if you do, please tell me what you require and I'll let you know.

Hoping you can help :(

D

Associate
OP
I can't believe I wrote all that and I'm replying to my reply less than 5 mins later :rolleyes:

I've got the pings back working :) because I've turned off Windows Firewall :(

Do I have to create firewall exceptions for this and my other PC's in order to turn it back on but have the ability to connect to my other clients? Any hints on how to do this would be much appreciated - thanks.

Back
Top Bottom