• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worst Opteron Overclocks!

Associate
We all are well aware of the potential that opterons have for overclocking but what I want to know is has anyone found theirs to be a real lemon??? :p

I'm sure there are a few people out there who bought an opty expecting great things but have been disappointed with a relatively small overclock. :( :mad:

If you have owned one and it turned out to be a rubbish clocker could you post what type it was( 144, 146 etc), what its highest stable clock was and if possible the stepping. I am planning on investing in one for my 2nd rig but want to know if i should believe the hype or if there are certain chips to avoid like the plague. Thankyou for your input. :)

Soldato
had a CABYE stepping that wasn't even stable at stock speeds, despite OcUK saying that it was perfectly fine :-/

tried everything to get it to work, but it died under heavy load and any stress on the CPU at all killed it.

does that count as a lemon?

edit:

running a 4000+ at 2.6GHz now running very nicely :D
it looks like it could go further but i haven't tried just yet, CABGE stepping for anyone that cares

Last edited:
Soldato
Opteron 146 @ 2.3Ghz. Stock volts with ram 1:1 - never really tried pushing it much further. Unfortunately I can't now as I'm using a SATA drive and my old motherboard doesn't have AGP/PCI locks AFAIK

Socket 940 though

Stepping CAACC 0423XPMW

Soldato
I very briefly had a CABGE 144 which is supposed to be the worst stepping and it did 2.6 with a reasonably heavy voltage boost but it was stable and the temps were fine.

People really ought to chill about vcore under at least 1.55, if 1.55 stabilises it you have a decent clocker.

Soldato
delbuenno said:
nikebee, what happened with that cabye opty? did ocuk exchange it or did you have to flog it elsewhere?
flogged it on the members market, i believe the guy has since RMA'ed it to OcUK (possibly been successful?) but i haven't had any emails back off him in a while :confused:

Associate
i had a 144 cab2e 0540 that could only do [email protected]
bought for £100
sold it at auction for £125
returned by buyer c/w bent pins (thanks mate)
sold to a mate for £50

the annoying thing (apart from the stupid buyer) is the fact that a lot of cab2e0540 steppings have reached 3ghz GRRRR

Back
Top Bottom