"Saving your settings" taking long

Soldato
Hi,

On shutdown/restart instead of "Saving your settings" being there for a few seconds / just flashes past it stays there for around 20 seconds, my 1.5ghz PC with 512 ram even beats this PC with 1024mb ram and 3.0ghz on shutdown.

Any ideas what I can do to fix please?

Thanks
Craig.

Soldato
I recommend making a new account, and seeing if it happens on that, if not, you may have a slightly corrupted profile.

*Ninja Edit*

Soldato
OP
OK, just made a new test account and it doesn't have the problem.
Any ideas what I can do to fix it please? As I really couldn't be bothered to re-do my profile.

Craig

Soldato
OP
Nope, hard drive doesn't do anything while it's on the saving settings bit.

I read that the welcome screen could cause this, so I turned it off but it didn't make a difference, also it still even happens if I log in and straight back off without touching anything, so it's not because of using some or other program.

I have also tried closing all programs before I log off, but that didn't help :(

//Offtopic

My page file is on about 700mb, I read all over OcUK that page file should be 1.5x your RAM so in my case 1.5GB, if I changed it would it help performance at all?

Craig.

Last edited:
Associate
I set mine to 3GB, but anything over 1.5GB doesn't appear to make much difference for me. I guess it depends what you do on your computer, but 1.5GB is ideal I would say.

As for your original post, have you installed service pack 2? Hanging at shutdown was a known problem before the days of service pack 1, but should have been sorted now.

Back
Top Bottom