GCSE Options - What shall I do!?

Soldato
Hi, I've checked the FAQ and can't find anywhere that says you cannot ask for advice like this.

It's time to take my GCSE options, what exams I do. I want to have a job in IT when I'm older, and have the oppotunity to run my own business. Hence i have chosen IT and Business Studies. I am allowed 4 options. I don't know what else to choose! I might pick History as my third option. But I'm stuck between French and Geography.

If I took Geography, would this help me get a job using computers via geography? (mapping, layouts etc.)

Would History help me get a job with IT? (historian that makes 3d rendering of stuff that people have discover, stuff like that)

Would French help me with a job so I can like communicate on behalf of a international IT or not IT company?

As you see, I really want a job in IT. I know the in and outs of various operating systems and hardware/servers and networking etc.

Can anyone help?
Many thanks,
Scythe

EDIT:Oh sorry forgot to add
Maths
English
Science
are compulsery. I am taking the double award in science because I'm in the top 20 science levels in my year

Oh and i plan to go to college then uni

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you do double science?

French would help, as modern languages are very acceptable, I did french and spanish and found the correlation to be quite useful at times but I can say that 1 language is a recommendation from me.

Caporegime
GCSEs won't do **** for job prospects once you've done A-levels > degree > experience. Don't overthink the choices, do what you will find easy / interesting.

Soldato
I don't think the Geography and History GCSE's would throw around much weight in regards to doing a History/IT or Geography/IT job.

So I wouldn't worry so much about that.

Soldato
OP
Oh sorry forgot to add
Maths
English
Science
are compulsery. I am taking the double award in science because I'm in the top 20 science levels in my year :)

Oh and i plan to go to college then uni

Man of Honour
If you want to do Computing especially in Higher Education do well in MATHS!!

This is probably more important at your stage in education then any other subject.

But as its compulsory I also think a extra language is useful, although Personally, I hate French.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
Having another language knowledge is usually a plus point, to be honest, Geography isn't going to give you any more advantage over French to get into IT, as it's all just natural science (from what I remember from my Geography GCSE), more earthquakes and rock types and population stuff than map reading, though there is some map reading involved.

It will also depend on what level of education you want to go into, as you'll likely be wanting to do A-Levels / equivalent, so you'd want to gear your GCSEs towards choosing the right A-Levels.

You never know though, getting through your GCSEs could make you change your mind as to what to do with your life, I changed my mind a good couple of times before the end of my GCSEs, and during college.

As has been said, experience and highest qualifications are the best things to have, GCSEs are usually just a sign to show you can read/write at a reasonably level compared to A-Levels/Degrees.

Soldato
Just take stuff you have a vague interest in, or just don't pick the stuff you hate. They're only GCSEs, I wouldn't worry about choices too much, it's at A-Level/GNVQ where choices really matter.

In the IT world, as it stands, experience is everything. Get yourself a part time job (once you're old enough), ask local places if you can do some free work experience, keep abreast of all new technologies, etc.

My boyfriend was a complete whizz at all this when he was about yoru ages, 10 years ago - it was all so new then that he, as a geeky teenager, was getting about £500 a pop for helping local firms out with their networks.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Double award science?

Can you not do them all seperately? Thats a much better way of doing it!

A language is certainly a plus - you should keep your options as wide open as possible. You dont want to close doors now only to find that you really want to go there in the future.

Soldato
OP
sara said:
My boyfriend was a complete whizz at all this when he was about yoru ages, 10 years ago - it was all so new then that he, as a geeky teenager, was getting about £500 a pop for helping local firms out with their networks.
I'm barely a geeky teenager! Thanks for all the advice :) I do have quite a experience with current technologies, and I like fixing pcs, so thats why i have a bout five units on the table that are in the queue :) Its just the hassel of keeping up with the IT world ;)

Soldato
OP
As i stand atm, im looking at my fav subjects, French, History, Business Studies and ICT, as it all fits in, so it should be good. Still open to opinions/advice though!

Man of Honour
You should be fine really, as if your A-Level choices are going to be the bigguns for going to Uni for an IT based degree, but there are plently of degrees out there that cover a huge amount of types of IT applications. Make sure you do well in Maths + Science, as they're the likely A-Levels you'll probably be needing for computer-science type degrees.

Associate
I wish i had your mentallity at your age, But ICT/Business/Maths/Science/English will be good as most of the stuff at GCSE is repeated in AS levels, and there the subjects that you need for a career in ICT.

Associate
like everyone has said

GCSEs don't mean anything in terms of future job prospects

I did Social Science and Business GNVQ

Im at warwick university doing a Physics degree...

needless to say, I don't plan on doing anything in Physics, Social Science related stuff and probably business either.

Associate
Unless you have a defined career path in mind i would say pick the subjects that you enjoy or have an interest in. You are going to be spending a lot of time on them so you will find it easier to do something you like.

When i went to Uni i did Astrophysics as i always enjoyed astronomy and physics, ended up working at genetics research lab and was part of the biggest science project since the moon landings, which was pretty cool.

One thing to remember is that the options you take now, do not lock you in to the rest of your life, you can change it around at any time.

Back
Top Bottom