• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Argh, it's all gone wrong (9700Pro issues!)

Associate
Been thinking for a while to update the ol' machine as it's getting a tad long in the tooth (Athlon XP-M @ 2400MHz, Abit AN7, 3GB RAM, etc, etc) and just recently it's been randomly locking up and then wanting to send the error report off to MS claiming a device driver error / display driver error / "STUCK_IN_LOOP" error or RAM error... now my trusty old 9700Pro has decided it wishes to bring forward the replacement date.

Basically, as of this evening, all graphics are corrupt - and I mean all, even the POST screen is darn near unreadable! I've managed to procure a Radeon 9200 for the time being but as you can imagine, that ain't staying for long. Worryingly though, when stuck in the PC that the 9200 came out of, the 9700 seems to work fine. :(

Due to other commitments I can't go the whole hog and jump to an A64/PCI-E setup so I have two questions:

1. Can any magician tell me what the problem with the 9700 may be? I'm hoping it's not the AN7 as I can do without the hassle of swapping everything. I guess it could be a power thing but my PSU is a new-ish 420W GlobalWin affair and the thing in the "other" PC is a generic 300W contraption so I doubt it. I'm also thinking that because it's all screwed up from POST, it can't really be a power issue as it's not doing any work!

2. Can anyone suggest a replacement (AGP)? I'm thinking a 6800GS - especially that BFG thing on "This Week Only". I don't want to go spending too much so as long as it matches or bests the 9700Pro, I don't really care too much. I presume the 6800GS will do that?

Predominantly, the thing is used for photo editing/etc but I do enjoy stuff like AOE3, Empire Earth II, Flight Sim 2004 so can't get away with leaving the 9200 in.

Any speedy replies are MORE than appreciated.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom