smart phone recommendations

Soldato
I'm in the market for an upgrade in the near future, as being drunk and in a bad mood, my p910i had a friendly introduction to the wall, and now the vibrate function is shot on it, and in general its a bit battered now.

So whats available now and in the near future(next month or so)?

What I need:

1. Something that does what the p910i does
2. Nothing bigger than the p910i really
3. Price and network don't matter, though something on o2 as an upgrade would be ideal, as thats who i'm currently with.

Soldato
If you waiting then the new XDA mini same as click might be differnt color though. If you cant wait (will be a couple of months maybe) then go for the XDA mini s, or if you wouldn't mind summin slightly biger then maybe the XDA exec.

Hope that helps, Spamalot.

Soldato
1. Something that does what the p910i does
2. Nothing bigger than the p910i really
3. Price and network don't matter, though something on o2 as an upgrade would be ideal, as thats who i'm currently with.

Sony Ericsson has three smartphones in the works:

M600 (Blackberry type device)
P990 (straight upgrade from the P910 - 2MP camera, WiFi, 3G, radio, etc)
W950 (Walkman-branded smartphone with 4GB of flash memory)

Due out soon, quite soon and not so soon, in that order. :p

I've got a P910i at the moment myself, but I think I'll be upgrading to the Nokia N80 instead. As much as I love my P910i, there's just too much cool software for Series 60 that I'm missing out on and the N80's specs are hot (3G, WiFi, silly high res screen, quad-band, Nokia's new web-browser...).

Soldato
Tunney said:
I've got a P910i at the moment myself, but I think I'll be upgrading to the Nokia N80 instead. As much as I love my P910i, there's just too much cool software for Series 60 that I'm missing out on and the N80's specs are hot (3G, WiFi, silly high res screen, quad-band, Nokia's new web-browser...).

The N80 looks good, but you do know that the 990i uses Symbian OS 9.1

Soldato
OP
thanks for the suggestions, how soon do you guys think for the n80 and the m600 or p990i?

The p990i would be great, but i now have a laptop, so the full pda functions are not as important so the m600 or n80 look interesting.

Which is better out of symbian and windows mobile? or is it really just swing and roundabouts.

Soldato
thanks for the suggestions, how soon do you guys think for the n80 and the m600 or p990i?

Between one and three months for the lot of them. I'd guess that the N80 and m600 will be out before P990 though.

Which is better out of symbian and windows mobile? or is it really just swing and roundabouts.

Can. Open. Worms everywhere. :)

One thing I will say is that the mobile market is still hardware-centric. WM5 and Symbian are both "good enough" and I'd go for whichever phone has the features/size/battery life/price tag that you want.

Soldato
there is far more software available for windows mobile due to it being the long standing PDA operating system of choice for pretty much everyone.

I don't get the buzz about symbian, i don't rate it any higher than the actual phone version of windows mobile nevermind the pda version the touch screen versions use.

Tom.

Associate
Symbian Series 60 has a lot of applications out there that run on it, especially with the increase in popularity of nokias running it ( recent phones 6630 / 6680 / N70 ). Ive got a 6680 myself and whatever i need to it to do theres an app out there that does (apart from clean my kitchen!)

windows mobile though is currently seeing a popularity increase, and therefore an application development increase.

My personal opinion would be not to worry about WM / Symbian but to worry about the phone itself and getting a good price / features. The N80 looks hot and ive got my eyes on that!

Caporegime
I'd reccomend the variations of the HTC Magician or Wizard, I've had a Magician for almost a year, and will be getting a Wizard next :D

Magician:
xda_mini_2.jpg

mda-compact-pocket-pc-phone.jpg

Wizard:
t-mobile_mda_vario.jpg

o2_xdaminis_1.jpg

Soldato
OP
thanks for the help guys,

looking at the options i'm torn between the m600 and the p990, as i really like the fact my 910i has a proper keypad, as i couldn't imagine texting using a touchscreen when i'm out down the pub or what not. I just wish either of them would turn up in the shops, as its a pain not having the vibrate function working anymore.

If i were to go for something like xda mini or the newer version of it, how easy is it to text on without the stylus?

Back
Top Bottom