N00by Network Qs

Associate
Right I've gone and ordered ADSL. I want to share an internet connection between 2 pcs in seperate bedrooms and then maybe at a later date add in a laptop wirelessly. So far I have bought a Netgear DG834G router & a pair of PCI ethernet cards.
Am I right in thinking that I could set things up as follows:
Router plugs into phone socket, router plugs into ethernet card in pc1, one end of a cat5 lead plugs into the router and the other end plugs into the ethernet card in pc2?

-will this enable both pcs to access the net independently of each other?
-will the pcs be able to slog it out against each other in lan games?
-does it matter if one pc is using XP pro and the other win98?
-what about sharing files and stuff? (got some fat32 partitions on the XP pc so the fat32/ntfs aspect shouldn't be a problem) Is it just a question of setting file sharing options for various folders/drives?

Is this gonna work or what would anyone else recommend? :confused:

Soldato
FishPolice said:
Am I right in thinking that I could set things up as follows:
Router plugs into phone socket, router plugs into ethernet card in pc1, one end of a cat5 lead plugs into the router and the other end plugs into the ethernet card in pc2?
Spot on.
-will this enable both pcs to access the net independently of each other?
Yes.
-will the pcs be able to slog it out against each other in lan games?
Yes.
-does it matter if one pc is using XP pro and the other win98?
Nope, doesn't matter at all.
-what about sharing files and stuff? (got some fat32 partitions on the XP pc so the fat32/ntfs aspect shouldn't be a problem) Is it just a question of setting file sharing options for various folders/drives?
Just share the folders you want and away you go. The 98 machine will be able to access the NTFS partitions because it'll be accessing them through the XP machine.
Is this gonna work or what would anyone else recommend? :confused:
It'll work fine.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reassurance & speedy response
:D

One more question though. I went for Zen ADSL (just before the uncapped services became unavailable). Thing is, they give you the option of a single fixed IP address or up to 8 I think. As time was a ticking & I needed to hit the order now button before the other half changed her mind I went for the single fixed IP option. It said it was the "recommended" option & seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm not so sure.
Anyway, the question is:
If both pcs are linked & thus capable of going online independently, what would happen if both pcs tried to jon the same online game server? Would the single IP address prevent this?

Soldato
To be honest, if you're not sure if you need the block 8 of IP addresses over a single static then you'd be best to get just a single.

I don't see why gaming should be a problem. I've got a couple of friends who share a Wanadon't connection and they never have a problem connecting to my Quake 4 server.

Back
Top Bottom