possible to monitor how much i've download overall ?

Soldato
Hi,

was wondering if there is some software, probably on the router, that tells me how much i have downloaded and uplaoded ?

have a ADSL D-link router at home, just curious as uk online just put a possible cap on all their services :(

Associate
I use a program called DU meter which runs off of the pc. So it monitors how much bandwidth the pc uses but not how much goes through the router if there is more than one pc that uses your connection.

Associate
yeah it recoreds and tell you how much data you have transfered everyday. You get daily, weekly, and monthly reports aswell as a projected totals.

Its a very good program only found out that it recored how much you downloaded the other day :)

Caporegime
If the router does SNMP, there's PRTG/MRTG/RRDGraph derivatives.

graph_image.php

Being an example.

Soldato
Can I ask what you're using for that graph? I'm using mrtg at the moment on my linux server querying my cisco stuff, and I don't get graphs as nice as that....

*edit just read rrdtool on the side of it. Now to figure out how to get it working :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Snow-Munki said:
but if i transfer a 100 gig file between 2 pc's it would not show an accurate view of how much i download...

hmmm oh well... thanks anyways

What you can do is have a network card in each PC that connects to the internet, and another for internal traffic. Set DUMeter to only monitor the internet card and that way any internal traffic won't be recorded.

Soldato
growse said:
Can I ask what you're using for that graph? I'm using mrtg at the moment on my linux server querying my cisco stuff, and I don't get graphs as nice as that....

Looks like Cacti to me - http://www.cacti.net/

I really need to look into MRTG alternatives at work, but the amount of time required to setup the monitoring on > 200 devices is a bit of a problem at present.

Caporegime
burbleflop said:
Looks like Cacti to me - http://www.cacti.net/

Indeed. The URI kinda gives it away :p

The Cisco's SNMP is jolly nice:
graph_image.php

The 4 switch ports respond on the 877 (they didn't on the 837 :confused: ) too. Cisco's MIB browser is your friend. :)
Just a PITA they had to change the OID between the 837 and 877 for attenuation and SNR margin :(

Soldato
tolien said:
Indeed. The URI kinda gives it away :p

I checked the URI before posting, but I thought before I looked that it was Cacti.

The switch ports don't respond on my 837 either, but then at least one of them is buggered anyway. Time to either let work buy me an 877 or bring home the spare 1841.

Soldato
The 877 does VLAN's as well, which I'd find a bit useful at home. Problem is, the 837 was rather pricey as it is. What's the attenuation and SNR margin OID for the 837? couldn't seem to find it when I poked around last time...

Soldato
I found 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.94.1.1.2.1.4 which translates as adslAtucCurrSnrMgn, but that doesn't seem to return anything from the router. Maybe I have to go enable something.......

Back
Top Bottom