HELP GUYS PLEASE WTH IS GOING ON

Associate
HI GUYS hope ya can help us here

got a gigabyte kn8-sli nf4 mobo

now my comp is on the floor hence gets dusty but has been running absolutley fine for 3 months but thought i would give it a clean tonight you know usual stuff take out ram+gfx card and pci cards and give a good dust well it looked all tip top put it back together and bugger me getting a long beep then a pause then a long beep

looking in my mobo manuel says this is dram error but ram is in the normal slots

the ram is geil 2x512 meg matched dual channel ram

so i take stick b out and leave stick a in ddr slot 1 boots fine put other stick back no boot i have done all these configs below took me ages but it seems my ddr slots 2 and 4 have died

WHAT DO YOU THINK AND CAN YA HELP

stick a boots fine in slots 1 and 3 no boot in 2 and 4
stick b boots fine in 1 and 3 no boot in 2 and 4

a+b in slots 1+2 or 2+4 or 3+4 or 2+3 no boot get the beep

but a+b in slots 1 and 3 boot but only single channel and at 170mhz not 200 shows 1 gig though

a+b in slots 1 and 4 boot only shows single channel and also only shows 512 meg ram its like the b stick in slot 4 does not exist

so what the hell is going on please can anyone help :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
It sounds like you have switched the RAM around a lot but I can't help but think the RAM isn't making good contact in the slots.

I prefer to leave the RAM in when cleaning as you can get dust in the slots during the cleaning process.

Associate
OP
yeah one slot i can understand but not 2

i have cleaned the slots time and time again with no joy

i have reset cmos ,updated bios cant think of what elses i can do

Associate
OP
can of the air stuff and a fine soft little brush

it just seems funny that its channels 2 and 4 are the connected in any way is there something on mobo that controls these 2 channels could i have knoced something on mobo

i just dont know

i do know it cant be the ram as it bots fine in slots 1 and 3

Back
Top Bottom