Can anyone recommend me a DVD player?

Soldato
OP
Im just connecting it to a 21" Scart TV for now, but would like it to still look good on a large HDTV in the future.

I will have a alook for an S97.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Well the 97 looks like the dogs danglers but it seems you cant buy it anymore, it must have been replaced with another model, does anyone have any idea what replaced it? Thanks.

Soldato
it was discontinued ages ago. It was a very good HDMI player and much better than the nasty 850/950 samsung hdmi players.

However it is not great if u dont use HDMI and a good component player still looks much better. How much are you spending ??

Under £50 - Limit DV900 - better than the S97 on component and a bargain - audio tuned by cyrus so a decent budget cdp

100 ish - pioneer 575, bargain - has more features than the limit such as SACD + Divx playback.

250 ish - Denon 1920 - stunning pic but some have lipsync issues.

There is the Tosh 350 at 70 ish aswell, many rave about it but i tried one and didnt like it at all.

Some options anyway !

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
100 ish - pioneer 575, bargain - has more features than the limit such as SACD + Divx playback.

Spend £150 on it, the best player i've ever had. Bang for buck king imo

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
it was discontinued ages ago. It was a very good HDMI player and much better than the nasty 850/950 samsung hdmi players.

However it is not great if u dont use HDMI and a good component player still looks much better. How much are you spending ??

Under £50 - Limit DV900 - better than the S97 on component and a bargain - audio tuned by cyrus so a decent budget cdp

250 ish - Denon 1920 - stunning pic but some have lipsync issues.

There is the Tosh 350 at 70 ish aswell, many rave about it but i tried one and didnt like it at all.

Some options anyway !
for the love of god DO NOT waste your money on a denon when the oppo floors it picks it up then floors it again at 170 punds delivered

Soldato
When it works you mean. I demo'd the Oppo and every now and again its stunning, well on region 1 anyway. Region 2 is horrific and although ive not tried one since the latest firmware my mate who has it has dumped it in the playroom so that tells me they havent fixed it yet. The Denon is not without fault but at least it can play region 2 (some may find it handy in this country :p ;)) Under no circumstances does the oppo floor it, its cheap and occasionally a great player but far too buggy to be a serious option at the mo.

For what its worth my first Toshiba player destroys both the oppo and the Denon, shame it was a region 1 only player as it was truly stunning and makes most modern players look bad.

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
When it works you mean. I demo'd the Oppo and every now and again its stunning, well on region 1 anyway. Region 2 is horrific and although ive not tried one since the latest firmware my mate who has it has dumped it in the playroom so that tells me they havent fixed it yet. The Denon is not without fault but at least it can play region 2 (some may find it handy in this country :p ;)) Under no circumstances does the oppo floor it, its cheap and occasionally a great player but far too buggy to be a serious option at the mo.

For what its worth my first Toshiba player destroys both the oppo and the Denon, shame it was a region 1 only player as it was truly stunning and makes most modern players look bad.
region 2 is horrific? that a crock of **** m8 i have the latest firmware at it is the best thing ive ever seen.

Soldato
Eliot said:
region 2 is horrific? that a crock of **** m8 i have the latest firmware at it is the best thing ive ever seen.

I shall see if my m8 has the latest firmware, when i saw it it was tearing on all region 2 discs - at the time a well documented error.

As for best youve ever seen, you obv havent seen many dvd players. For 170 the region 1 pic i had was good but not a patch on my original Tosh, and miles off any high end denons, SDI modded Philips etc.

Certinally if they have sorted the region 2 out its a good sub 200 player but it still uses an old chip so has macroblocking issues and makes a mess of poor quality dvd's.

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
I shall see if my m8 has the latest firmware, when i saw it it was tearing on all region 2 discs - at the time a well documented error.

As for best youve ever seen, you obv havent seen many dvd players. For 170 the region 1 pic i had was good but not a patch on my original Tosh, and miles off any high end denons, SDI modded Philips etc.

Certinally if they have sorted the region 2 out its a good sub 200 player but it still uses an old chip so has macroblocking issues and makes a mess of poor quality dvd's.
o.m.g
ok read my review. now. believe me ive seen good dvd players before ok. they have compared the oppo to 500 quid dvdplayers in the past, and bullitt (filmed ages ago) looked crisp ass on it. EDIT after research it only tears on 720p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ref the Oppo, colleague of mine had one for two weeks. Massive problems with tearing on his HD plasma Ditched it and replaced it with a Philips 963 which is apparently VERY good.

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
Ref the Oppo, colleague of mine had one for two weeks. Massive problems with tearing on his HD plasma Ditched it and replaced it with a Philips 963 which is apparently VERY good.

Yep its an awesome player - has he got an SDI modded one ? If so its better than most sub 1k players. Hard to get hold of now but awesome, my m8 has one and like a fool i didnt get one when they where around.

Back
Top Bottom