Networking Printer Problems

Soldato
Hello,

Ive been trying to set up sharing for my printer but its not going to well. Heres the Spec

Both Computer running XP Home

Netgear Wireless Router DG834G
Epson RX520
Wireless USB Stick.

Ok Computer A is connected via Rj45 and Comp B is wireless. The Printer is connected via USB to Comp A. I have turned file and printer sharing on each PC, run all wizards possible, granted access via router to allow Comp B access Comp A. I really have no idea what else to do.

Strange this is, when i click on View Workgroup Computers on Comp B it finds Comp A but cannot access it. On Comp A, when i click Workgroup Computers it just cannot access Family Workgroup (btw both are in the same workgroup).

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

JT

Soldato
Have you assigned an ip address for each pc, for example,

pc1 = 192.168.0.1
pc2 = 192.168.0.2

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Have you set up shared folders on each PC from your MY Computer window ?

Associate
What firewall are you running? This will need to be modified to "trust" the other PC (i.e. somewhere you can add the IP Address of the other PC to allow access)

Are you sure Microsoft Printer and File Sharing is installed on both PCs? (check the network properties for this. I assume it is in place as you are mentioning the "same workgroup")

Setup a single shared folder on each PC called "test" and share it as "test". Then try to do \\192.168.0.5\test from a run prompt. This will either let you straight into that shared folder, or will ask for a username and password.

Are we talking XP Home or Professional?

Have you sacraficed a chicken over the printer? This often helps :D

Associate
"Service Pack 2" will not be causing you any networking problems. You need Service Pack 2 (it actually makes a huge improvement to WiFi for example).

IMHO - The only people who don't use SP2 tend to be those with pirate copies of XP. :)

Back
Top Bottom