How much sleep do you actually need ?

Soldato
This week I have merrily been going to bed around 12.30 - 01:00 am. Getting up around 06:00 - 06:30. It's a pretty predictable sleep pattern. So I guess im happy with around 5-6 huors sleep a day. If I sleep in I feel guilty as I feel im missing out on stuff to do and time to spend with my Family. I don't feel to bad for this ammount of sleep.

So how about everyone else. How much sleep do you need to stop you becoming a foul tempered beastie first thing in the morning. What is the definitive ammount of sleep we need ?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
8 hours, sleep is incredibly important. It repairs your body, things grow and it helps you live longer. Without enough sleep you can end up with a serious chemical imbalance in the brain and it's very bad for you.

Soldato
OP
Nix said:
8 hours, sleep is incredibly important. It repairs your body, things grow and it helps you live longer. Without enough sleep you can end up with a serious chemical imbalance in the brain and it's very bad for you.

Not sure about the live longer bit. I read an interview with the Dalai Lama. He sleeps for 2 hours a day but meditates lots so I guess that balances it up.

My missus went to bed at 8.15 on weds night. Got up at 6.30 Thursday and was still yawning her head off. :confused:

Caporegime
I'm getting by on about 6 at the moment. I'm very tired first thing in the morning, but once I get moving I'm OK. I'd be better on about 7, probably, but for some reason I can't sleep till about 1 regardless of how tired I am or what I've been doing or when I go to bed. It's quite annoying.

The wife needs more like 9, but she is ill and pregnant, so there you go.

Man of Honour
The rule of thumb is between 6 and 9 hours. The best way to tell is to to try for a week to go to bed when you feel tired and then wake up naturally (i.e. no alarm) Record how many hours you sleep each night and then take an average - this is what you should aim for each night.

I did this an realised I was getting too much sleep.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Loki said:
Not sure about the live longer bit. I read an interview with the Dalai Lama. He sleeps for 2 hours a day but meditates lots so I guess that balances it up.

My missus went to bed at 8.15 on weds night. Got up at 6.30 Thursday and was still yawning her head off. :confused:

Too much sleep is as bad as too little. And enough sleep a night is very good for your body and will help you live longer.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
I'm getting by on about 6 at the moment. I'm very tired first thing in the morning, but once I get moving I'm OK. I'd be better on about 7, probably, but for some reason I can't sleep till about 1 regardless of how tired I am or what I've been doing or when I go to bed. It's quite annoying.

The wife needs more like 9, but she is ill and pregnant, so there you go.

Your natural clock is messed up. You need to just force yourself to goto bed early every night, wake up early etc and your body will get used to it.

Man of Honour
It really depends tbh. Some people are just lazy and need 10 or more per night, but i know some people that function brilliantly on around 4. It's about falling into deep sleep quicker etc which some people are very good.

Soldato
I must be the worst bloke in the world at sleeping and Im always soo tired. I just had to quit a job were I was working 12 hour shifts cos I couldnt sleep at all on the night I was due in always on the first shift, it nearly killed me.

Now I try and go to bed at a good time and sometimes get some sleep, but allways wake up in the early hours and lie awake. Recently I been trying those Nytols and I have to say they are great, they really relax you, Im trying not to take them all the time though, becuase my body might become immune to them?

Soldato
I had sleep apnea for about 8 years before it was diagnosed last year, I was getting between 1-3 hours (broken sleep) a night at most and almost no REM sleep at all from what the consultant told me. It's unbelievably important that you get at least 6 hours, preferably 8 each night.

Try sleeping for 1-3 hours a night for a few weeks, you'll realise how much of an effect it has on you physically and mentally. Since diagnosed I have lost almost 3 stone, seen my blood pressure and cholesterol drop dramatically and can actually concentrate and DRIVE again without nodding off every few minutes :)

Associate
Anything more than 6 hours does me fine. I tend to be fine once i've woken up, had a shower, cup of coffee. I really like my sleep though, so Saturdays I don't tend to wake up until afternoon to catch up on all the sleep i've lost midweek :D

Back
Top Bottom