• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

difference between an operaton and X2 processor

Associate
difference between an opteron and X2 processor

Hi Guys,

I've been reading a lot of the other threads, and it seems operations get recommended above X2 on many occasions, because of their overclocking potential.

How easy is it to overclock these (Noob!!!!!), and also just say you had an operation running at 2.4ghz, and an x2 running at 2.4ghz, would they have exactly the same performance>????

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
Meds said:
Hi Guys,

and also just say you had an operation running at 2.4ghz, and an x2 running at 2.4ghz, would they have exactly the same performance>????

Thanks

a opteron running at 2.4 ghz would perform the same as an x2 running at the same speed if that x2 had the same ammount of cache.

so an x 2 4400, 4800 would perform the same as a opty 165,170,175 if they were all running at 2.4ghz.

If the x2 3800 for example was running at 2.4ghz it would perform slower because it only has half the cache in certain scenarios.

Associate
OP
h'mmm, i understand a bit better now. I had thought previously that an opteron was a budget chip.

LOL at "operation", i hadnt even realised i had typed that... !!!!

Thanks guys

PS:

BTW how easy would it be for a complete noob (with regards to AMD chips, and overclocking), who has never overclocked to overclock one of these on air!!!! whilst wanting a quiet machine??

Last edited:
Soldato
Semprons are AMD's budget chips, Opterons are usually intended for servers and workstations - but the Socket 939 Opterons are just rebranded Athlon 64 X2s.

Overclocking these is very very easy indeed, pop the right settings in your BIOS and it seems you're almost guaranteed to reach 2.6 GHz using the stock cooler without a thought.

Associate
OP
you guys are bad for my bank balance!!!!! i am seriously considering getting one now!!!!! Lol...

Originally i had decided to wait for conroe, then check to see what the better chips are, then buy.

But now im thinking of just taking the plunge with an opteron.

decisions, decisions.....

Hey pinkpig, what opteron chip are ppl getting 2.6ghz easily on btw????

Caporegime
Meds said:
h'mmm, i understand a bit better now. I had thought previously that an opteron was a budget chip.

on the contrary, they are server chips and therefore are higher quality cores than your standard Athlons, so that they remain stable in the most stressful conditions.

The last thing AMD wants is big corporations complaining their servers fell over.

Caporegime
mmj_uk said:
on the contrary, they are server chips and therefore are higher quality cores than your standard Athlons, so that they remain stable in the most stressful conditions.

The last thing AMD wants is big corporations complaining their servers fell over.

TBH their price does not reflect that.
so its an easy mistake to make :)

Soldato
King_Boru said:
The opterons differ internally (slightly) aswell. I think it is down to the way it uses its L2 cache. Ill find the link.
You sure on this King_Boru? I would have thought the 940 opterons run differently but the 939 ones should run exactly the same as the X2 :confused: - that link would be good if you could find it.

Back
Top Bottom