NetGear DG834/DG834G

Associate
I see some units finished in silver and others in white, and I’m also hearing of version 2’s of these routers? Are the old version’s silver and the version 2’s white?

Edit: Is it feasible to not use the wireless on the 834G, but just connect everything by cable, but very occasionally enable the wireless (to use a laptop outside)?

Last edited:
Soldato
Mike_T said:
I see some units finished in silver and others in white, and I’m also hearing of version 2’s of these routers? Are the old version’s silver and the version 2’s white?

Correct, the v2 is smaller,white and silver and has a vertical holder. The internal hardware is different in each model, jowever the same firmware will work on either model

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, make sure you don't get a v1 (silver), a lot of issues with heat and connection dropping. I have two v2's (white) and I can't fault them (latest firmware :) ).

hth

aaazza

Soldato
Mike_T said:
Edit: Is it feasible to not use the wireless on the 834G, but just connect everything by cable, but very occasionally enable the wireless (to use a laptop outside)?

You can turn it on/off in the config screen of the router, however a good long wpa key with mac filtering would keep out any unwanted guests :)

Last edited:
Soldato
aaazza said:
Yes, make sure you don't get a v1 (silver), a lot of issues with heat and connection dropping. I have two v2's (white) and I can't fault them (latest firmware :) ).

hth

aaazza

Are you sure about the V1's being so bad? I've had mine for about 2 years now and managed to get some silly number of uptime (around 100 days) with no problems?

I find it one of the most stable router/modem combo's available. And as for the heat problems, well, mine is in the airring cupboard with a water heater, go figure :D

(Using Firmware 1.05.00)

:)

edit: found the screenshot, http://www.zen58308.zen.co.uk/Dave/router_uptime2.gif

I believe that to be 102 days on the LAN uptime, WAN is down to ISP/BT. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Deathwish said:
Are you sure about the V1's being so bad? I've had mine for about 2 years now and managed to get some silly number of uptime (around 100 days) with no problems?

I find it one of the most stable router/modem combo's available. And as for the heat problems, well, mine is in the airring cupboard with a water heater, go figure :D

(Using Firmware 1.05.00)

:)

edit: found the screenshot, http://www.zen58308.zen.co.uk/Dave/router_uptime2.gif

I believe that to be 102 days on the LAN uptime, WAN is down to ISP/BT. :p

My folks also use a v1 with no problems......btw Deathwish upgrade your firmware to the latest release v3. it really makes a difference :)

Soldato
Tumbler^ said:
You can turn it on/off in the config screen of the router, however a good long wpa key with mac filtering would keep out any unwanted guests :)

MAC address filtering isn't worth the bother tbh. Assume for a moment that MAC filtering is the only 'security' on your wireless network, it'll be trivial to sniff one of the unencrypted frames to get the MAC address of a connected client, then cloning a MAC address isn't exactly difficult.

I'd save the admin bother of having to add MAC addresses and leave it off. WPA will be ok on its own.

Associate
I just got the DG834GT, kept dropping connection. After a few days the wireless network failed completely to the point where the wireless settings where gone from the setup and the wireless light never came on. RMA it and over clockers replaced it with the DG83PN which has been spot on. Tech support for netgear sucks as well, some african guy with a manual and not much else...

Associate
Uptime... lol. Only 2522 hours? (105 days)

My router is an old AMD 586 PC with Freesco installed and that has an uptime of 282 days. It would have been longer, but I needed to turn it off briefly when I connected the UPS last year. :)

Back on topic - from experience with my customers, the DG834G v1 would overheat. This could be fixed with a quick power cycle. Version 2s all seem good (unless one has a Mac laptop... see my other thread).

Though the guy with the router in his airing cupboard makes me laugh.... the Router doesn't like heat and the WiFi doesn't like copper or water. :D

Soldato
Heh, my point wasn't "zomg I have the leet uptime" but more trying to prove that the v1 routers are not the crash prone boxes of crud that they were made out to be.

I think the uptime kind of proves my point, and more the fact that the router is located in a rather hot airring cupboard says to me there is not much to the overheating issue either.

I can only comment on what I have seen however, so meh :D

Associate
Not everyone with a version 1 was affected by the overheating.... maybe your version 1 stays alive because it is kept at a constantly high tempature.... These computers have an unpredictable mind of their own at times.... lol :D

Soldato
For what it is worth, my v1 was fine too, it only went down for firmware updates or when Central Networks decided to cut a power cable at the end of the Close because they had nothing else to do with their time.

Soldato
MAllen said:
Not everyone with a version 1 was affected by the overheating.... maybe your version 1 stays alive because it is kept at a constantly high tempature.... These computers have an unpredictable mind of their own at times.... lol :D

I did wonder about that, lol. I bet as soon as I move it somewhere normal it starts to flake-out on me :D

Xez

Xez

Associate
My v2 is always overheating! i have to keep it in a cold place just for it to stay up for more than 30 minutes :( and the latest firmware is just pants, just says CHAP authentication failed all the time!

Associate
Xez said:
My v2 is always overheating!
Have you thought of drilling a few extra holes into the box?

If it was me, I would open the plastic box up and run it with the lid off. This would then let me locate the "hot spots" inside. Once these are located, extra holes drilled into the case will allow the heat to escape. And if that isn't enough, I'd then add a fan to it to keep that heat down. :)

Back
Top Bottom