New Visual Display Unit for 360 - Help Me Decide!?!?!

Soldato
Why jello thar.

Ive been tinking for some time now whether to get a different monitor for my xbox/pc.

Then i got onto the idea of getting an LG 26LX2R LCD Tv, for everything, xbox, pc and television. Now with the price and all, im not too sure, especially quality wise, and that i sit about 2/3 ft away from my computer monitor.. which im fairly sure wont do my eyes any good with the 26".

So now im wondering if i should get a widescreen PC monitor. Use me Tv for Tv still and widescreen the xbox via VGA.

The only thing is, id have liked to use the old RGB component thing for the xbox [which i could with the LCD Tv] as ive found VGA is quite washed out, but i really like the sharpness.

Theres just so many pro's con's to consider its doing my nut in and i could do with some opinions.

Soldato
OP
NokkonWud said:
Whats your budget? £850 isn't a lot of money if you have a part-time job, with that you can get a 32" Samsung screen.

Well, im a first year undergraduate student, and i dont work right now, but i do during all of my holiday. Although, the next bit might sound silly.. 650-850..

I dont want to spend a lot as i can live on £850 for a few months quite happily. The 32" will also not fit in my room. The 26" however, the LG one i mentioned has 1:1 pixel mapping at about £650, and sounds like a fantastic screen... All im worried about there is the resolution for PC use [although GordyR will tell me its fantastic].. because i use 1280x1024 on a 19" TFT, and the LCD is 1366 x 768 at 26".. so will it be a bit less sharp? naff?

Soldato
Thesnipergecko said:
Go for the 26LX2R i have the 32" version of it and im 100% impressed with the screen for PC & 360. Love it to bits.

edit plus it has HDMI for HDSKY or even PS3! if its ever released. (not sure if the 26 has those)

Paul ...

The 26" version has all the same connections as the 32". :)

Gord... no one other than yourself can honestly say whether or not you will be happy with the resolution for general PC use. Over your current 1280x1024 display you will be losing 256 rows of pixels in one dimension and gaining 86 rows of pixels in the other. In my opinion if you are used to a 1280x1024 resolution then the switch to 1366x768 isn't that much of a big deal at all.

Also, It certainly isn't any less sharp, in fact I would say that the 26LX2R is equally as 'sharp' as any dedicated PC LCD Monitor I have ever come accross. Simply because of 1:1 pixel mapping.

But still at the end of the day, we all differ. While I find the 26LX2R a dream for general PC use, you on the other hand might not. All you can do is try it out and take it back if it's not suitable for you. For PC games, Xbox 360 and HD video you know it's going to be awesome. Thats what I like about the screen, it's incredible for all the above, plus it also has the benefit of working fantastically well as a general use PC screen.

If you were to get a large high resolution TFT bare in mind that for HD video and Xbox 360 your monitor will have to scale up the resolution thus deteriorating the picture quality. It's down to what you deem most important matey.

Soldato
OP
With that barrage of support for the 26LX2R.. it looks like im definitely going to have to get one..

Cheers for the clarification guys!

Man of Honour
Robert said:
Try and get one with HDMI.

That's a bit useless for the 360 though, as the 360 can't output a digital signal for HDMI.

But, looking in a broader perspective, you want a HDTV with as many inputs as possible, component for 360, HDMI for newer DVD players / Sky HD etc. VGA/DVI for PC/360 also.

Back
Top Bottom