Snowy Snowdonia

Soldato
It never snows by me so I decided to visit Snowdonia to take a look at real snow and mountains. It was far better than I could have hoped for. At times it was like driving through the Alps. Blue skies, gorgeous sun light, huge snow covered valleys. Just breathtaking. I got some Provia film for my EOS50 and also took my A70. I've yet to develop the Provia but I took a look through my A70 shots. Annoyingly f/8 just isn't enough for landscape photography, but at these sizes it doesn't look too bad. I had a great day and totally love my TomTom device. It takes away any worry about finding your way home. You can just drive around looking for photos knowing you can hit the home button when its time to leave. It was also great because it shows roads by the lakes so you can tell TomTom to take you to these vantage points. Very very handy.

So all these shots were taken on my little Canon A70 3.2 MP camera. I was very impressed by its performance after using my 10D for the past 18 months.

IMG_0321.jpg

This first shot was probably the nicest place I found. I had googled the area looking for ideas and I was happy to find this place. Let me set the scene. I had Radio 1 on in the car as I arrived and KT Tunstall was reading a passage from her favourite book. It was snowing, the clouds were drifiting over the mountains and I was listening to KT Tunstall's very lovely voice. Kinda makes me wanna move out there :)

IMG_0336.jpg

This was taken at the Llanberris Pass. I stopped at the car park were nutters go walking up Snowdon. The car park was near full! The view must have been amazing though.

IMG_0347.jpg

Taken later on in the day when the light was nicer. I spent a lot of the time hand holding my 58mm polarizer in front of my A70 to get a nicer shot :) While I was here I browsed TomTom for my next place to visit. According to TomTom Snowdon was 40 mins away. I was debating visiting it as it was the point of my trip. However, I seemed to recall that the view from Llyn Peris did indeed include Snowdon. I was debating a 40 minute drive to god knows where or whether I should revisit Llyn Peris now the sun was shining and the skies were blue. Llyn Peris being 20 mins away.

Soldato
OP
pano.jpg

I decided to revisit Llyn Peris and boy was I glad I did. I found this place on the way there. The view from the shore line of Llyn Peris. Just a perfect shot. I took some with my EOS50 @ 20mm so I hope they come out ok.

bwpano.jpg

I put it into black and white and got stuck. Colour had lovely blues and things, but black and white also looked great. I dunno which I prefer. Depends which I look at.

IMG_0379%20copy.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Finally arriving back at Llyn Peris looking at what I later found out was Snowdon. A few more photographers had turned up by this point. I can't imagine why ;)

Permabanned
Nice shots. A70 is always proving to be a great compact camera!

I like #4, I think if you change the boat from red to yellow it would give a better contrast and compliment agains the blues :)

What is that little black stump at the bottom left next to your writing logo... looks out of place, clone it out :)

Soldato
OP
Colin_da_Killer said:
Nice shots. A70 is always proving to be a great compact camera!

I like #4, I think if you change the boat from red to yellow it would give a better contrast and compliment agains the blues :)

What is that little black stump at the bottom left next to your writing logo... looks out of place, clone it out :)
I only noticed it once I had uploaded the shots and couldn't be bothered doing the whole process again :)

Associate
some terrific work once again cykey, and it just echoes your point that its not the camera but the man behind the cam which produces these stunning shots.

Soldato
OP
lee7 said:
some terrific work once again cykey, and it just echoes your point that its not the camera but the man behind the cam which produces these stunning shots.

I was worried that the A70 wouldn't be able to produce the shots I wanted but it did. Really happy with it :)

Fstop11 said:
Nice shots mate. Its great when there are passages to read prior to each shot. a lot more people should do that. It gives a purpose to look at them for longer and take more in.

Aye. I do like to give some insight into my photos. Gunna try and do it more, sometimes forget to :)

Cheers for the comments guys. Wednesday I was impressed that I could transfer my skills to film, and now I'm happy that I was able to go back to a digital compact and still get some nice shots. Oh nuts, I forgot that I took my lomo and never used it! *shakes head*

Associate
Boo-Hoo....

I left Stafford @ 7am yesterday to become one of those nutters going climbing, 10d and wide angle lens in tow. I was even carrying my tripod...

I didn't get far until the roads around Woore and Audlem became atrocious.

After loosing it a number of times and deciding it would be 4pm before I got there I turned round.

Now I know what I missed.

:(

By the way, great shots, you jammy ....... ;)

Al

Back
Top Bottom