802.11b or 802.11g?

Associate
well im splitting at 1mbps connected between two laptops and ive got two 802.11g cards but am i right in syaing that a 802.11g router wouldnt be any quicker than a 802.11b one in this scenario?

any shed some light?

thanks

Man of Honour
LINK

Explaining how the particles work. It's more to do with what sort of a distance they can reach. As you can see B theoreticallyl pushes through objects less than G, but I think if youre within about 3 metres of the router the B will be faster. If you're at any sort of distance (3 Metres +) then I'd always reccomend a G to penetrate walls etc (I have a friend with B and he gets awful signal through two floors and about 4 metres.)

Soldato
You're sharing a 1Mbit internet connection? It won't make any difference if you use 802.11b or 801.11g since they're both faster than your internet connection.

If you are sharing files between the laptops then go for 802.11g which (in theory) can run at upto 54Mbit as compared to 11Mbit for 802.11b.

Caporegime
Zefan said:
LINK

Explaining how the particles work. It's more to do with what sort of a distance they can reach. As you can see B theoreticallyl pushes through objects less than G, but I think if youre within about 3 metres of the router the B will be faster. If you're at any sort of distance (3 Metres +) then I'd always reccomend a G to penetrate walls etc (I have a friend with B and he gets awful signal through two floors and about 4 metres.)

They aren't beta particles or gamma rays, they're microwaves (with the same frequency, wavelength, energy et al)...
Gamma rays aren't particles (in the same sense as beta particles) either...

As burbleflop said, they're both faster than your internet connection, so if that's all your using it for, you're not going to see any gain.

Last edited:
Associate
Zefan said:
LINK

Ah, that mistake's the funnist thing i've read all day! If it was <that> type of radiation it'd be somewhat dangerous to use.

Back
Top Bottom