• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron 146 and Arctic Silver

Associate
N00b alert!!

Sorry fo rthis dumbass question, but I have been 'laptopping' for a good few years now, so have missed out on a good bit of desktop development, would be greatful if someone could help with the following:

If using AS paste, do I have to take the cover off the chip itself?

And is IHS the correct term for the cover?

Soldato
Do you mean take off the metal top? No, you don't have to. People only normally do that when using phase change. Just wack the AS straight on ;)

Associate
IMHO

rub AS into the bottom of heatsink (very small amount) to fill out the very very msall imperfections in the metal.

then put a wafer and I mean wafer thin coating on the IHS.

Suspended
My freezer64pro came with one of those pads but i still put as5 on. Only a bit and the pad combined with as5 made stuff crap out over the edge. I just rolled a ear bud stick next to it and it cleans it nicely!

Associate
geeza said:
My freezer64pro came with one of those pads but i still put as5 on. Only a bit and the pad combined with as5 made stuff crap out over the edge. I just rolled a ear bud stick next to it and it cleans it nicely!

lol, that defeats the object of AS5. You were supposed to clean off the old thermal pad :p

Back
Top Bottom