Riding the clutch - Life span

Associate
Well the clutch went in my rover 214 in december, so i had a new clutch and cable fitted at Mr Clutch Autocenter.

When out driving yesturday the clutch went again! So i got the car taken back to Mr clutch and they took it apart and showed me the clutch had snapped in half. The guy who works there said it was because i had been riding the clutch.

Since passing my test 6 months ago, where i was taught to just clutch down and not bother with gears, is this where im going wrong?

Is it possible my driving errors could cause the clutch to go in 3 months \ 3k miles? or is it more likely a bad clutch?

Soldato
Probably their crappy job!

what do you mean by "clutch down and not bother with gears"? You mean coasting when slowing to a stop?

Associate
OP
Enfield said:
Probably their crappy job!

what do you mean by "clutch down and not bother with gears"? You mean coasting when slowing to a stop?

Yes exactly that!

Talking to many people and they all think its crazy me doing this, Its just the way i was taught, and i did pass first time!

Soldato
How many miles have you done since the clutch was last replaced?

Even if you ride the clutch every day, it's not going to fail in 3 months. I know so many people who ride the clutch and haven't known any of them to have failed yet.

Btw, rolling to the lights with the clutch is called 'coasting'.

Sat at the lights on a slight hill and using the clutch/gas to keep the car still is known as riding the clutch. It simply causes the clutch to rub against the friction plate. Sure, it'll get hot but not enough to cause it to crack.

Anyway, they can't prove you've been riding it so don't let them get out of replacing it.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
A clutch shouldent last 3k miles mate unless your driving day to day like a race driver. Mr clutch use referbished units dont they. I personally wouldent ever let my car near a garage like that :(

Sam

Associate
If you don't put it in neutral (bad idea in itself) you will probably wear something out. But it CERTAINLY won't affect the actual clutch plate and it certainly wont snap it in half.

You burn clutches out so they start slipping...you don't snap them in half!! He is BSing you. Its either a flaw in the clutch or it was missaligned in some way. I would be distinctly upset if they didn't replace it free of charge.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
agw_01 said:
How many miles have you done since the clutch was last replaced?

Even if you ride the clutch every day, it's not going to fail in 3 months. I know so many people who ride the clutch and haven't known any of them to have failed yet.

3k andy ;)

Soldato
Sam said:
A clutch shouldent last 3k miles mate unless your driving day to day like a race driver. Mr clutch use referbished units dont they.
Sam

You mean should last 3k miles?

They don't used refurbished ones...

Soldato
I abused the clutch in my first car... had no problems in the 4 moths I had it for.

Also, haven't gone easy on my current car either... it's been a year since I bought the car and the clutch is still very good.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replys. Cost was £160 back in december. Its been replaced now, but they said if it goes again for the same reason then they will not replace it. Im just worried as i have a few long journeys planned and dont want to get stuck.

Does everyone here gear down to lights then?

3 months, i know its crazy.

Associate
OP
Sam said:
A clutch shouldent last 3k miles mate unless your driving day to day like a race driver. Mr clutch use referbished units dont they. I personally wouldent ever let my car near a garage like that :(

Sam

I will not be going back there! I was recomended to go there :(

Associate
andy2k said:
Since passing my test 6 months ago, where i was taught to just clutch down and not bother with gears

Edit: best read thread first. If its just coasting to a stop. Still if I were the clutch guy and someone came back to me with a destroyed clutch and let out that they only passed 6 months ago... well, just dont tell him that you've only passed anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
andy2k said:
Thanks for all the replys. Cost was £160 back in december. Its been replaced now, but they said if it goes again for the same reason then they will not replace it. Im just worried as i have a few long journeys planned and dont want to get stuck.

3 months, i know its crazy.

Personally I go down the cars and not use the brakes that much, but tbh it shouldn't wear much more than if you are using the clutch to go down the gears because you're engaging the clutch less often.

Soldato
andy2k said:

If I'm in 4th or 5th, I'll downchange to 3rd, blipping the throttle on each change.

Makes for nice smooth changes.

I dip the clutch when the revs drop to around 1000rpm, by which time I'm doing about 10-15mph anyway.

I really hate people who coast to the lights or around corners. I just couldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom