Help with Akasa Fan controller

Don
Got this today, sorted the temp settings etc, but having problems with the "Fan control"

Basically the fans plug straight into the controller, and I should be able to adjust them accordingly (lo or hi) but this is not working for all 4, there all performing at 1380rpm odd...

And if i adjust to ''lo'' it stays the same?

Should I be adjusting something else? I was hoping i'd be able to do as much as turning them off with this thing!

Not good.

Don
OP
Well I just unplugged one of the 120 fans...(theres 4 in total in my case) and plugged in a standard fan which normally goes on a 'normal' heat sync, and that was adjusted fine...

So why will the 120mm fans not change speed?!

Associate
its worth persevering with until you get it to work, ive got one
fan number
1 cpu zalman 9500
2 front 120mm
3 back 120mm
4 gpu zalman forgot what number but the copper muther
and aesthetically it looks mint
with my antec p160

Don
OP
How did you get it working mate?

Mine only works with the smaller fans that only have the 3 pin connectors.

The 120mm have the power 4 pin connectors too! If i unplug these obviously they don't work!

Any ideas?

Soldato
andybtsn said:
How did you get it working mate?

Mine only works with the smaller fans that only have the 3 pin connectors.

The 120mm have the power 4 pin connectors too! If i unplug these obviously they don't work!

Any ideas?

4 pin fans will not work, they draw the power from the 12v rail, and the 3 pin is actually only used for reporting the speed.

Associate
if you buy a decent 120mm fan for eg the vantec stealth 120mm the connectors supplied with it plug directly into the back of the akasa fan controller if im not mistaken, as do the others, with the cpu obviously it isnt plugged into the board so you have to disable the cpu fan in the bios, or it thinks the fan is malfunctioning

Soldato
You can get convertors that allow you to run a 4-pin molex off a 3-pin fan connector. But you won't get a speed reading unless they have a third wire. Have a hunt around the larger high-street electronics components retailers and they usually have something to fit.

Or swap out the fans for Akasa Ambers - they definitely have 3-pin connectors and will work.

Back
Top Bottom