• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Some X850 clocking Qs

Soldato
Another thing which helped me push the last few 3DMarks out of my X850 was adjusting the memory timings.

Much like on system RAM, lower timings means you have to overclock the memory less, but for me, the 10 - 15Mhz reduction in overclock got me more points in 3DMark when the memory timings were adjusted.

I used the timings outlined in the first post, then started clocking my memory up again, finding it reduced my clocks a little, but overall being faster because of the reduced latency:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55485&highlight=x850+timings

My post:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1069865&postcount=83

:D

Associate
OP
tried that and it knocked my max stable mem from 600 to 570

now I cant reset the timings lol, can someone post a screenie of stock timings please

edit: rebooted pc and timings back to normal, however, I now have to manually allign my screen on my TFT :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
IamMed said:
90c is a tad warm, mebbe turn speed up on the cooler :)
Oh of course!

Now you mention it, the cards stock cooler was spinning quite slowly. If I adjust this in ATI Tool does that set the card permanently or just when using ATI-Tool?

Associate
OP
jus leave ATItool minimized on task bar and it will keep the speed :)

@Jimbo not yet, but its somehow caused a problem with my display, as now my TFT doesn't auto center screen etc like it always has before :( dont really want to keep messing with mem timings incase summit else goes wrong lol, will have another go with the timings if/when i get voltmod done on the core though :D

might as well add this:

3D Mark Scores with CPU @ 2.7ghz, MEM @ 2-3-2-5 200mhz and gcard @ 561/600:

'01 = 28919
'03 = 13716
'05 = 6806
'06 = 2285

with having a Freezer pro on cpu I cant actively cool my ram now, and they dont perform well under 3.2v :(

I take it scores are ok for what its at though?

Edit: running 6.2cats btw

Last edited:
Associate
OP
played some more with card and can get 564/600 now, while I was benching thought I'd give the mem timings a go again :)

564/600 with std mem timings gets 2299 in '06
564/570 with tightened timings gets 2315 in '06 :D

will run the other 3dmarks now and see what they get ;)

Edit:
'05 with 564/570 tight mem 7088
'03 with 564/570 tight mem 14163
'01 with 564/570 tight mem 28209

altho was a little tearing in '03 and '01 in nature test :( tis ok for benching tho :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a look at ATI-Tool and the rpm thing:

x850xtstockrpms7za.jpg

Jeez no wonder my computer locked, at 90°C my fan was set to spin at 5% :eek:

What's up with these Powercolor people? why on earth does the card come with these fan settings as stock?

Associate
Big.Wayne said:
Just had a look at ATI-Tool and the rpm thing:

x850xtstockrpms7za.jpg

Jeez no wonder my computer locked, at 90°C my fan was set to spin at 5% :eek:

What's up with these Powercolor people? why on earth does the card come with these fan settings as stock?

I know I found the same with my X850XT now use ATiTray and set the fan speeds to sensible setting and it now runs at 65c under load, still warmer than I would like ideally but well within the card's tolerances. I also have a Artic Silencer fitted to the card this brought temp down from 72c under load and is of course much quieter. I now run my card at 560/621 in 3d and 540/599 in windows. My £d Marks are crap though but I think think this is due to a lack of system memory I only have 512mb.
I was intrigued to see that memory timings have such an effect on your score I will be looking to buy some decent memory at some point soon.

Soldato
blackbull said:
I now run my card at 560/621 in 3d and 540/599 in windows
Hmmm,

I just did my first tests last night, with the cards fan set-up a bit better so now it hits about 70°C under load. Looks like you have a good GPU or maybe your arctic cooler is helping as I can't get mine to run error free over 549MHz, but the memory overclocks very well!

x850xtoverclock4io.jpg

Think I will have to get an arctic cooler as the stock fan does get quite noisy once you let it run above 5%

Last edited:
Associate
Big. Wayne,
On your last comment very true it does, but not as much as the stock cooler on my CPU did, it could wake the dead. That was replaced ith an Artic Freezer Pro 7. Regarding your GPU, I think the Silencer has helped I couldn't go above 550 (I think) either on the stock cooler. You wont be surprised to find I am now a big Artic Cooling fan so much so I am looking at getting the Arctic Cooling Silentium T2 Case with 350 Watt PSU in few months time for very quiet air cooled system.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep the Zalman fan is dead quiet, I have it running on full speed 100% of the time and it's quieter than the Arctic freezer pro i have on the cpu. It keeps the GPU at least 10C cooler.

Zeph.

Associate
Hi, I have an x850xt and I have been starting to overclock it a bit. What I wanted to know is how reliable is the find max overclock utility, I let it run and it just keeps going. I am a bit worried that I might fry something. So far I have had the card up to 648/621 and it seems stable. No artifacts in 3dmark and plays bf2 without any glitches. The core is watercooled and the ram has a 120mm fan in the door blowing over it, the gpu temps are under 40 and the gpu environment went up to 45.

As far as I'm aware I should be able to keep pushing the card till it gets too hot or starts to artifact without too much danger of frying anything. But I would be more than a little upset if I set it on fire so I thought I would get a second opinion first. I have had no artifacts at all yet or any screen corruption I only stopped because I chickened out.

So, should I keep going? And will you buy me a new card if I break it ;)

Soldato
There is an option in ATI-Tool where you can set a time limit (in seconds) I normally set this to 3600 seconds.

If you don't set this option it will keep searching for the max overclock forever!

If anything I find ATI-Tool oversensitive to error, things that you would even see, but it knows they are there.

Associate
OP
zx81 said:
So far I have had the card up to 648/621 and it seems stable.
:eek: :eek:

thats a damn good card you have!!!

generally ATI tool will find max core ok, you'll either have artifacts or card will freeze and ul have to reset PC

648mhz core with no Volt mods is a seriously good card!

Soldato
zx81 said:
Hi, I have an x850xt and I have been starting to overclock it a bit. What I wanted to know is how reliable is the find max overclock utility, I let it run and it just keeps going. I am a bit worried that I might fry something. So far I have had the card up to 648/621 and it seems stable.. . . . . . .The core is watercooled and the ram has a 120mm fan in the door blowing over it, the gpu temps are under 40 and the gpu environment went up to 45.
Hi zx81,

can u configure ATI to search for max overclock (1800 or 3600 seconds) when it finishes it will pop-up a small window telling you what the result is,(What I have posted above) then u can post your results here for all to see. Seems like you have got some great coolling on your GPU but those results are mental? :eek:

I gotta see an X850XT running within 2MHz GPU speed of an X1900XT-X :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom