• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is Re-Installing Windows XP Necessary?

Soldato
I have an Asus P4C800 motherboard with an Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz (800FSB + H/Threading) Northwood CPU fitted. I have recently bought a new Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz (800FSB + H/Threading) Prescott CPU which I intend to fit onto this motherboard instead of the 2.6GHz Northwood.

My question is simply this, can i simply install the new Prescott onto the mobo and use the current Window XP installation without having to do a complete re-install or would I need to do that as well (to make sure the correct drivers are loaded)?

In the past when I have fitted a new CPU the circumstances have been that I have had to install XP at the same time anyway.

Many thanks for your comments. :)

Associate
valerian said:
no itll work fine, once and only once i changed mobos and didnt have to reinstall xp either a fluke

If your running same chipsets then i always found you can get away with it but its always best to reinstall windows. Did see a thread where they explained how to get round it. It involved uninstalling loads of things in device manager and changing some settings. Cant remember all the details or where i saw it.

Back
Top Bottom