Dell Laptop reinstallation issues

Associate
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with this issue.

I reformatted my dell laptop (inspiron 6000) and reinstalled windows. After I had done this I reinstalled all the drivers and got it working again. However there are certain functions that seem to have disappeared, and I would really like them back.

I'm not sure if other people with Dell laptops have noticed this, but when you increase or decrease the volume using the buttons on the front of the laptop a little image comes up showing the volume bar increasing or decreasing. The same goes for when you adjust the brightness of the screen, a little image with a smiley sun comes up and the brightness bar moves left or right.

However since my reformat, neither of these comes up when i change the volume or the brightness of the screen. Of course the volume does adjust as does the screen, but the images or icons don't.

Does anyone know how I can get these to work again? Is it a piece of Dell software that I forgot? Or is it activated in the BIOS?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue.......

Associate
I know the piece of software you mean. I'm pretty sure it is Dell QuickSet that does this. I think it is also the piece of software that responds to (notifies with a picture) the Fn+F2 to turn on and off the wireless card.

You can get it from the Dell Tech Support area - it is listed as an Application.

Out of interest, why did you reinstall from scratch as opposed to using the PC Restore feature? Or is that not on your machine?

Hope this helps,

Martin

Associate
OP
Hard drive partitioning

Thank you so much for your help. Going to go and try to sort out the software ASAP.

Reason for formatting from scratch was that I wanted to partition the drive and so that i won't have to keep moving stuff off when i reformat at some other time......

Back
Top Bottom