How to reformat when cd/dvd drive doesn't work?

Associate
I've Google'd to no avail.

I want to reformat my sister's laptop because it just needs one lol. The CD/DVD drive stopped working a few months ago. I have all the System Restore etc. CDs. I've got a USB stick and both the ports on the laptop still work (one is a bit dodgy but is working right now). How do I reformat the system without the use of the CD/DVD drive?

Associate
It's possible to format a drive through windows, just right click the drive then format. But i've never even attempted formatting a drive that contains the operating system so i couldnt really comment if it would work for that.

Even if you can format the drive without using the Cd your gonna be stumped for installing windows again without a working cd drive.

Associate
OP
Hmm thanks. lol I was kinda hoping that a reformat would help bring back the use of the CD/DVD drives. :| Because a while back it stopped playing DVDs.. I read somewhere that downgrading the flash on it might make it work.. now it's disappeared from 'My Computer' ever since.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Soldato
Im assuming your using windows xp.

you cannot format a system drive (ie your windows drive) from in windows.

you need to check if you cd drive is being recognised in your bios and if so, if you can boot from it.. If you can, you can format and install windows without a problem

go into your bios and change the boot order to CD first.
put your windows cd in to the drive and reboot.
see if it boots of the cd .. If it does, your fine..

make sure you back up ALL your data, as a format will lose everything.

if your CD is broken, i would recommend buying another one first/or borrowing one from a friend.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How do I do that?

In my BIOS under the 'Boot' menu option, all I have are:

Network boot [Only with F12]
Boot-time diagnostic screen [Disabled]
Summary screen [Disabled]
NumLock [Off]
QuickBoot Mode [Enabled]
TV Out Mode [PAL]
Smart Battery Calibration

Associate
OP
Okay, I found how to change the order. CD/DVD drive is at the top of the booting order. Rebooted with the CD in the drive, doesn't work.. it just boots up as normal.

Associate
OP
Yeah I think I killed it when I downgraded the flash on it. But I assumed a simple reformat would fix the problem :(

I've got a DVD+/-RW combo on mine but hell no am I taking that apart lol. I don't have experience taking apart laptops and I don't intend to start now!

So what are my options? Buying a new drive?

Associate
OP
Paulus said:
there some broken samsung v25's for sale on flea bay for spares for very little money... ;)

Hmm. I just checked them out. Even if I did buy a damaged identical machine I don't trust myself opening up a laptop!

Siders77 said:
Yes. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acata..._RW_Drives.html

They're all quite pricey though, sadly. :(

Try some other well known shops :)

I would do that, but I'm not sure if I've killed the actual drive completely. Is there any other way to find out?

Back
Top Bottom