Problems configuring DG834G to get online

Associate
I’m a newbie to routers, so bare with me...

I’m trying to get a computer (running NT4) connected to the internet using a NetGear DG834G v2 ADSL router. I couldn’t connect to the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the browsers address field, so the window for admin and password didn’t show. I tried using the NetGear instulation CD but the only OS not listed is NT. I tried the Windows 2000 instructions but got lost because it’s different from NT. I contacted NetGear support, and they said because there was nothing listed under Network > Network Adapters, that’s why my network card has no IP, and that’s why I wasn’t able to complete the log-in procedure. So although I’ve successfully used this computer networked to another computer, using this card and a cable, it appears the card wasn’t fully installed properly by the computer vendor.

I’ve examined the card, and run a few s/n off it thru Google, and I think it’s an Intel EtherExpress Pro of some description.

I’m not sure what I’m suppose to do, but I went to My Computer > Control Panel > Network > Adapters > Add > Select Network Adapter, and there are various card options listed:

Intel EtherExpress Pro Ethernet Adapter
Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI LAN Adapter
Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA Adapter
Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ PCI Adapter
Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI Adapter

I guessed on the one highlighted. It then says ‘Windows needs to copy some Windows NT files’ – ‘Setup will look for the files in the location specified below - D:\I386\ ‘. So then under Network Adapters appears.. ‘[4]Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI Adapter’. I then close that window and up pops Microsoft TCP/IP Properties > IP Address and it asks to be specified an IP Address. I’ve no idea what to put in there. But there’s also an option for ‘Obtain an IP address from a DHCP server’. So I use that option and click Okay and it automatically reboots computer. When it does a window appears saying atleast one driver has failed on boot-up – which I don’t usually get.

So then I try opening the browser and try typing http://192.168.0.1 , but again it doesn’t produce the admin and password window.

So that’s where I’m at, if anyone can help?

Associate
OP
burbleflop said:
You've not got the right driver installed, hence the error message on boot up. This would be better suited in the Windows forum since it is Windows causing your problem.

The network card driver?

Soldato
Mike_T said:
In the browser address field or when it asks for an IP under Microsoft TCP/IP Properties > IP Address?
When it asks for an ip in the driver put 192.168.0.10. Put 192.168.0.1 in the browser. Might be an idea to push the reset button on the router.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
When it asks for an ip in the driver put 192.168.0.10. Put 192.168.0.1 in the browser. Might be an idea to push the reset button on the router.

Did that, but it’s now asking for a subnet mask?

Associate
OP
burbleflop said:
Yep. NT doesn't do plug n' pray so it'll let you install any driver you want for your network card but unless you've got the right one it won't work and you'll get the error at startup.

Okay, but where do I get the driver? Download?

Associate
OP
burbleflop said:
Unless you know exactly which network card you have then you'll be trying drivers for weeks.

I found various s/n on the card, so these are the only clues I’ve got:

E139761
009027430F09
721383-006
FCC ID: EJMPDALBANY

...unless I try finding the computers paperwork.

Soldato
Mike_T said:
I found various s/n on the card, so these are the only clues I’ve got:

E139761
009027430F09
721383-006
FCC ID: EJMPDALBANY

...unless I try finding the computers paperwork.

Like I said, unless you know exactly which card you have, you'll be trying drivers for weeks.

Associate
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
The reset button is between the wan and network ports.

Thanks. Found the reset, but still no joy. I’ll do a search on Intel’s site for the driver, failing that, I guess my next move is to invest in a new card?

Back
Top Bottom