• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good CPU stress testing program ?

SIB

SIB

Associate
As title really. I was determined to upgrade my P4 3ghz Northwood (800mhz with HT) PC but thought i would have a little play before getting rid of the kit.
I have decent quality Corsairs PC3200 ram that used to get the PC to around 3.3ghz on a 1:1 ratio (it was running arounf the 218ish mark). I decided to drop the ram to a 5/4 ratio and the PC has booted at 3450mhz at default volts !!
Want to see how far i can push this chip but want to make sure it's stabe so need something that is going to stress it, can anyone recomend a good (free) program
Bearing in mind i am doing this on air cooling with a Coolermaster solid copper "Fujiyama" HSF, what would be a good clock for this CPU ?

Also, it my PC really "running faster" @3.45ghz with the ram at 5/4 then it was at 3.3ghz with the ram at 1:1

Thanks for any help / advice

Associate
I usually do stressing in the following order with the following free proggies and when one fails i alter my settings and start again from the beginning:

Superpi 32M
OCCT (w/ Speedfan)
S&M
Memtest(12hr)
Prime95(12hr Custom)

:cool:

Associate
I think s&m is more intensive than prime95. I've only just started using it, but it gets my cpu 5 degrees hotter than prime95. I took jokesters advice and disable all the tests in s&m except for cpu (fpu). I run this on average (15min). If it passes then i raise the o/c. At the end i then leave it looping for 2hr

Have now started testing using prime95. It fails straight away with prime95 at 100mhz under what it fails at with s&m. S&m gets the temps the hottest but im back to using 12hrs of prime95 now.

Last edited:
Associate
I Found the 5:4 divider didn't really make a difference on the northwoods, try 3.6 and go from there.

Edit: 1.65 Is max volts to give those NW's on air, IMO.

PCMark2004 is a very good quick test of stability, if it gets through that, then usually speaking you're stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom