• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opty 165 0n a ASUS A8V Deluxe?

DV8

DV8

Associate
Hello All.....
Very soon I'll be recieving an Opty 165 0550UPMW. I intend running it on an ASUS A8vDeluxe (bios rev 1017) with 1g TwinMoss BH5 DDR and cooled under an Arctic Freezer 64Pro, obviously I'm wanting to OC it. I cant really afford to upgrade my MOBO and GPU to PCI so I'm sorta stuck with AGP (until funds are better!) I know the Opty is a X9 CPU and the ASUS will go up to 300mghz..

Has anyone tried to OC an Opty 165 on this MOBO and how well did it work? Will this MOBO actually go as far as it needs to get the most out of the 165?
Any help or advise with the OC would be recieved with much gratitude! :cool:

I've looked through back pages of this forum and I cant find any referance to this combination...?
Cheers.......

Associate
When I first got my 3800 X2 I had the same motherboard.
The most I could get out of it was 2.45Ghz, thats on a x10 multi with 1Gb of tccd memory.
I changed to a DFI NF4 Ultra D and itll run happily at 2.7Ghz with the memory at 1:1 270Mhz.
Dont really think the Asus is up to it mate tbh.
Tom :)

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
sculptor said:
When I first got my 3800 X2 I had the same motherboard.
The most I could get out of it was 2.45Ghz, thats on a x10 multi with 1Gb of tccd memory.
I changed to a DFI NF4 Ultra D and itll run happily at 2.7Ghz with the memory at 1:1 270Mhz.
Dont really think the Asus is up to it mate tbh.
Tom :)

I thought that may be the case...... :(

Does anyone know of a good AGP board for OC?

Associate
As with your chip i have got a 3500+ newcastle and have always struggled to get past 2.4 using the A8V Deluxe mobo. I was advised to get the DFi board if i was going to stay with AGP but i have order PCi stuff to get back with the times. Not sure about the other makes i know the voltages on the DFi board will go silly hence my reason for the DFi choice. I don't know what anyone else thinks on my thoughts if you understand them :rolleyes:

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
BIGGUN said:
As with your chip i have got a 3500+ newcastle and have always struggled to get past 2.4 using the A8V Deluxe mobo. I was advised to get the DFi board if i was going to stay with AGP but i have order PCi stuff to get back with the times. Not sure about the other makes i know the voltages on the DFi board will go silly hence my reason for the DFi choice. I don't know what anyone else thinks on my thoughts if you understand them :rolleyes:

I know out of all the boards Im looking at the DFI will be the best for a hard OC, my memory will love the extra voltages I could put through them (TwinMoss BH5).
I'm also looking at the others becasue they are a lot cheaper, the ASrock is dirt cheap!!

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
Ive been reading the thread on the ASrock board, and at first it has few issues, but when they are sorted out it sounds like a reasonable cheap board that I wont feel gutted about getting rid when I go PCI!

I've also just got the stepping of my 165, its CCBWE 0551UPMW. Anyone got one of these and what sort of results have you got?
Cheers.

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
Well...
The ASUS A8V deluxe is a pile of **** for OC. :mad:
The most I can get out of my Opty 165 is 2250 MHz. I know its the fact that I cant give my BH5 DDR all the juice it needs to fly. It wants over 3v and all I can it on this board is 2.8... I could sit here for hours and squeeze as much out as I could but to be honest I cant be bothered on this board..:rolleyes:

I'll start saving me thinks...! :cool:

DV8

DV8

Associate
OP
Defcon5 said:
I had the a8v couldnt get past 266htt.

Not exactly hardcore!

mine was a pci-e board though?

Nah m8, the A8v is AGP only, thats why a new PCI MOBO also means a new graphics card....... :(

Associate
DV8 said:
Been looking ta.
What about MSI or the ASrock boards?

I've got the MSI Neo2 platinum & no complaints - I'm running 290 HTT & so far it's been totally stable, have run up to 300 HTT but one core of the processor wasn't stable. Only problem is that SATA ports 1&2 aren't locked, so aren't usable if you're overclocking, ports 3&4 are fine. If you can live with the limitations of the Asrock board it sounds a good choice though.

Back
Top Bottom