Handy chart for comparing different TFT's sizes

Soldato
Isn't the 20" wide meant to be slightly taller than the 17"? A 17" is 1024 pixels tall and a 20" wide is 1050 pixels tall.

Real pictures will help me more but i can't find any pictures of people with a 17" standing next to a 20" wide :(

Soldato
mark1 said:
Isn't the 20" wide meant to be slightly taller than the 17"? A 17" is 1024 pixels tall and a 20" wide is 1050 pixels tall.

You're making a faulty assumption there, that the pixels are always the same size, which they aren't. Pixel size varies.

I'm assuming the picture above is done based on real screen size, not just how many pixels the screens have, or 17" and 19" would appear the same size as they both have 1280*1024 pixels.

If you want to work out the actual size of a screen (height and width) it's relatively straight forward to do it using trig (remember SOH CAH TOA?). Work out the angle by using the screen ratio (16:10, 5:4 etc), and dividing height by width (height and width of the ratio, so 10/16 or 4/5) and taking the inverse tangent (using a calculator of course). Then work out the two real dimensions by multiplying the sine of that angle (for the height) and the cosine of the angle (for width) by the diagonal size (19 inch or whatever).

I dunno if that sounds complicated, but if you sit down with a calculator and try it, it's pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom