The Big Fight Live: Calzaghe v Lacy

Soldato
Well done Joe, hopefully the media and public will finally recognise him as the best pound for pound boxer Britain's had in a long, long time. Be interesting to see if he makes the switch to light heavy that he suggested months ago, I don't think the guys at that weight will be able to cope with his handspeed. On the punching/slapping issue, I think this is where his speed and accuracy come from, they're so quick and almost always hit the target because his opponent doesn't know when or where it's coming.

Thought the first fight was great two, great to see the respect between Enzo and Hobson at the end, they'd just knocked seven bells out of each other but there was mutual admiration for each other's brave displays.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Excellent fight.
No way should they stop a Title fight. The first to complain would be laceys' camp saying he had a punch in him to finish Joe.
Lacey deserves every chance to hold on to his title which is why it should go the distance. One punch could have swung it and he always had that one punch in him right till the last second and you cannot be saved by the bell.

Fantastic to see us giving the Yanks a boxing lesson for a change. What with last weeks heavyweight bout things are looking up.

I should say respect to Lacey for keeping coming, you can see the ref ask him and him say Yer i'm ok. Takes two to make a good fight.

Last edited:
Soldato
When Calzaghe moves up to Light heavywight (Which he's almost certain to do) what will happen to his super middleweight belts......

Can you hold belts at two different weight divisions at the same time? If you cant then presumably Lacy could take all the belts back? :confused:

Soldato
Well there is no reason to move up to light heavy... no one there to fight that's available.

Woods will be fighting Johnson sometime late this year
Tarver is fighting Hopkins and then he's looking for a big money heavyweight fight
Adamek - Decent fighter but hardly a known name to anyone apart from hardcore boxing fans
Erdei - Again a decent fighter but he wont leave Germany/Hungary and again not a known name

Kessler would be my choice, a very good fighter but he's not a 'name' fighter

Soldato
The_One said:
When Calzaghe moves up to Light heavywight (Which he's almost certain to do) what will happen to his super middleweight belts......

Can you hold belts at two different weight divisions at the same time? If you cant then presumably Lacy could take all the belts back? :confused:

He'll be able to keep his belts for a few months or so but that's it then the belts will be vacant and the top 2 contenders will fight for each of the belts.

Calzaghe has stated that his choice would be to fight Roy Jones which to be honest I find absolutely disgraceful. Roy has nothing left at all and fighting him will be worse (In my mind) than fighting Evans Ashira :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic fight, really glad I stayed up to watch it (who am I kidding I would have been up anyway :p), Joe easily won every round for me, Lacey was non existent but he did take a hell of a beating and I was surprised he lasted 12 rounds of that. Calzaghe has incredible stamina to keep up the constant bombardment of punches he threw at Lacey. I think Americans will be waking up with a new found respect for him. Hopefully he now gets the big matches he deserves in the States.

I don't think Lacey will be running his mouth off again like that again in the lead up before a fight. His face must be in some state this morning. I just wanted to tell his girlfriend to shut up, noisy woman!

Last edited:

Ed

Ed

Soldato
ChroniC said:
Are calzaghes jabs just weak or is lacy just very good at taking a punch.
Boxing is about balance. Joe can punch when he plants his feet and digs in but then movement, range, defense and speed all suffer for it. If you're on your toes ready to slip any counters as Joe was it's extremely difficult to carry power with the lead.

As the result dictated, he got it spot on. If he slowed up and traded strength with Lacey the fight wouldn't be what it was.

Soldato
Jesus allmighty how? This skinny guy beat the muscle-only American not just 6 pack but 8 pack monster!...damn good job! And what was that about the 9 (or was it 10?) in a row? That Welsh guy is a machine, and 33yrs old? Double damn!

I don't even watch boxing and I was cheering like it was Greece winning the world cup (we will be, soon, mind you ;))

Nickg said:
hmm that lacey got a pasting right there. they definately should have stopped the fight well before the 12th. he wasnt defending himself properly at all.

That's the thing I didn't get, the Welsh guy was totaly open, he was just waiting for the American to get in there! I guess it doesn't matter how much you block because that guy can land a dozen punches from far away where the American can't hit.

Last edited:
Soldato
G|mp said:
You didnt fall asleep then Goon ;)

Nope, ended up at a club in Cambridge and didn't get home till when they declared him the winner. (Although I think I did fall asleep in the club!) Watched the fight again this morning. Awesome performace, LAcy took a right pasting. I kept thinking Lacy looks like 50Cent.

Associate
LOL - Well done to Joe. Fantastic fight, I was also happy to see Lacy get a pasting. After saying 'Im gonna knock him out' it made me feel all warm inside.

-Vinny-

Soldato
I just got back froma fabulous night of boxing, Im guessing you all didnt see the full card there were about 8 fights in total.

I had a ringside ticket and was sat with Jamie Arthur for ages and we had a good chat.

Must admit being close to the camp since last December I had an fair idea that he would be too strong for Lacy. However the majority of us were shocked by how good he was.

I was saddened by promoter Gary Shaw shouting get that fool outta here with 10 seconds to go.

Back
Top Bottom