Clutch Pedal Adjustment?

Soldato
Hey, got a new clutch fitted yesterday but the bloke said that the adjustment on the pedal isn't right and I would need a new one from Renault (clio 1.4 'm').

Basically there is a free bit of travel on the pedal before I feel any pressure. He said the rachets wern't catching straight away.

This makes it hard to change gear as i really have to push the pedal down to change gear and it bites straight away.

So can it be adjusted or do i need a new pedal?

Thanks.

Soldato
most cable operated clutches have a ratched system to self adjust the slack in the clutch cable, fitting a new cable may help as it will be a little shorter but it will only stretch in time and if the ratchet is knacked you will just end up with the same problem.

I would look for a clutch pedal from a scrappies.

Soldato
OP
hi, i've just made a washer (from a bike brake) thats about 1cm thick. I've used this to eliminate the slack but will look at a new cable or pedal ASAP.

Thanks. for the help!

Soldato
Just be glad you don't have the problem I did with my little Chevy/Isuzu pickup truck when I put a Borg Warner race clutch in it :

The clutch springs were a LOT stiffer than stock, hence it took a LOT more pressure on the pedal to release the clutch. The extra pressure caused me to actually bend the pivot pin that the clutch pedal operated on!! :eek:

Had to replace the whole pedal assembly (brake, clutch AND loud pedals) and weld an extra bracket on it to prevent it happening again.....

Soldato
The whole pedal asssembly is about £35 new from Renault. It's a bit of a ballache to fit, and I'd get a clutch cable whilst your at it too. Get a genuine Renault clutch cable - they're infinately better than the pattern parts and it will save you a LOT of time and effort, even though it'll cost a couple of quid more.

Back
Top Bottom