MG ZT-T 190+ / octavia vrs questions

Soldato
i've been looking at these cars, drove both yestaday
both are a good price, but the ZT is well cheap! (i know this usually means something!)
i liked both the vrs was fastest, but i did like the zt a lot too, the zt felt very well made and sure on the road, not that the vrs didn't but it seemed more noticable on the ZT.
now the zt has 102k and is a '51 - a lot of miles but i've had a good look round and it's good - the wheels need refurbing the f/r bumbers could do with painting a few small bits of paint work wanted(not needed), but thats what i do for a living so is nothing to me, just something to haggle with!

i suppose i'm leaning towards the zt as it's a estate and i'm p/xing my a4 avant - the room does come in handy from time to time, but not essential - the vrs too has a big boot plus it being a hatch ;)
the engine in both sounded good, i was expecting the zt to sound like it had a bag of nails in it on start up but didn't.

whats to look for on both cars?
tuning the ZT ???

Permabanned
I assume you mean a ZT-T if its the estate variant. Unfortunately, tuning this NA 2.5 is a dog, and would cost a lot of money for little gain. However, the engines sound fantastic with a good zorst and filter, and this will loosen the breathing up a bit.

I'm actually on a mission to get a ZT CDTi. The only reason they are cheap is because of the recent (well last April) events with Rover and MG. Damage depreciation has occured to its maximum at this point, and they will no longer depreciate any more than normal. However, if things for Rover are sorted, then the price you pay now may well be the value it keeps for a few years, but this cant be confirmed and is a gamble.

Remember Rover were owned by BMW during this part of their life, and as such (although little input from BMW was given to the 75), they share a lot of parts and the build quality represents high standard BMW (longbridge models)

If like me, you are going to run it into the ground, then the ZT is an excellent choice. the ZT Ts are huge, massive boot as well which is good.

'51 plate, you need to keep an eye on a few things. The plenum chamber drains get blocked and can lead to water flooding the ECU. Also, check its a Longbridge MG and not an Oxford by checking the doorsills are colour-coded (should be), otherwise they are prone to rusting and are not as well built as the Longbridge cars.

Oh, and check the brake lines to the rear of the car (they were inferiorly made in some cases and rust or chafe on bodywork)

VRS, good all round car. What year is it, as this will help me to tell you what to look out for..

Last edited:
Permabanned
penski said:
Go for the Skud.

Factory support, VAG build quality and it's not a rover with a bodykit.

*n

This coming from the guy who when asked whether someone should buy an Integra or a S2000 his answer was 'buy the Honda' Linky ;) :D LOL

No offence mate!

Skoda VRS, your basically buying a Golf MK4 (so its not in comparison to the 75 in terms of size), theres nothing major that can go to wrong with them. ECUs are prone to failure, but I honestly dont think they have the build quality of the Rover....sorry, MG. Plus, the MG will look better down at the Golf Club! ;)

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Oracle said:
I assume you mean a ZT-T if its the estate variant. Unfortunately, tuning this NA 2.5 is a dog,

I always thought zt-t = turbo lump? Can't remember what size but remember it being a turbo.

Permabanned
No, it means ZT - Touring

Only Turbo in this range was the 1800 lump.

The Ventilation Plenum Chamber holes are located to the left and right of the secondary bulkhead. On later models, one was blocked off anyway. They are prone to collecting leaves, which block the holes. Then in heavy rainfall, jet wash or car wash, because the water cannot drain, it floods the ECU running into a £1k repair bill!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oracle said:
No, it means ZT - Touring

Only Turbo in this range was the 1800 lump.

The Ventilation Plenum Chamber holes are located to the left and right of the secondary bulkhead. On later models, one was blocked off anyway. They are prone to collecting leaves, which block the holes. Then in heavy rainfall, jet wash or car wash, because the water cannot drain, it floods the ECU running into a £1k repair bill!
cheers!

Man of Honour
I've got a '51 plate ZT 190+ & I would highly recommend them to anyone.
It drives better than my brothers X-type 2.5se (also 51 plate) & another brothers old car, Merc. CD270i, they were gutted when they had to admit this:)
I've had it for over 2 years & have had the grand total of nothing go wrong at all, the only real problem I've heard they suffered from was dodgy clutches on early models, but that should have been rectified in a service.
Replacing the tyres is expensive (@£550 last time) and the fuel consumption figures are optimistic to say the least.
Sevicing costs are reasonable too.
As for tuning them up, there's plenty you can do now through X-Power. I spent nearly £400 on an ECU re-map (Superchips) & a custom made induction kit (Moto-Build) just for the fun of it.
Good fun, good looking, reliable, well priced cars:)

Permabanned
Oracle said:
This coming from the guy who when asked whether someone should buy an Integra or a S2000 his answer was 'buy the Honda' Linky ;) :D LOL

Because in my head, I say 'Integra DC5' and 'Honda S2000' - so a quick reply comes out as 'the Honda'.

*n

Man of Honour
penski said:
Go for the Skud.

VAG build quality

Yes, this is one of the few downsides of the vRS unfortunately :p

I think it depends how much you need the space or like large cars - the Octavia is Golf based, whereas the ZT was very almost an A6/5 Series size car.

Back
Top Bottom