setting up for x360 live

Associate
I have a Core system and Broadband on me PC in the adjacent room.

What Exactly do i need to purchase to set my Xbox 360 up so it can access live gaming.

Thanks ;)

Associate
You need a method of connecting your xbox to your broadband connection, i.e.
1. 360-> PC via second NIC and do internet sharing - worst choice as PC needs to be on when xbox360 is.
2. Get a router, connect broadband to router, then connections from xbox360 to the router and connection from PC to the router. If the router also offers wireless then you can buy a wireless adaptor for the 360 for £60.

Associate
OP
Cheers for replies so far...

I have a USB Modem, just had a look at the OCUK routers and none of them work with these Modems... :confused:

Do OCUK sell any products suitable for my needs?

Soldato
bruce said:
Cheers for replies so far...

I have a USB Modem, just had a look at the OCUK routers and none of them work with these Modems... :confused:

Do OCUK sell any products suitable for my needs?

Your cheapest option is getting a network crossover cable and using Internet Connection Sharing.. as mentioned though you have to be connected to the net with the pc on in order to use XBL. You might have to buy another network card though..

Associate
OP
My PC is on all the time anywway so that wouldn't present any problems..But.

When you say a network crossover cable, that sounds as though i'd have to have a cable running from my PC to the living room...not good lo0ol...or maybe i'm reading this wrong?

Is this one of the things i'll need to buy, its from OCUk...

Netgear GA311 Gigabit Network Card - Retail (NW-045-NG)

Soldato
Yes you would need a cable running from your xbox to your pc.

Overall it would cost you about £15/20 [cable/network card]

The other option is to buy a wireless network card for your Pc and the wireless adapter for your xbox. [as far as i know]

Overall this would cost you about £70/80 [wireless network card /xbox wireless adapter]

Permabanned
bruce said:
I'm on ADSL Broadband

Linksys WAG354G 4-Port Wireless-G Broadband Router (NW-044-LS)

- ADSL2+ Modem, Internet-sharing Router, 4-Port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point in one box
- High-speed ADSL2+ Modem gives you a fast, "Always On" connection to the Internet
-Connect your home PCs using the built-in Wireless-G Access Point or to the 4-port Ethernet Switch
- Advanced Firewall, Content Filtering and Security features protect your PCs, your data, and your family

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Wireless_Routers.html

That should do what you want to do. You'll also need to connect your 360 to the network either with a long cat5 cable or with the MS wireless adapter.

I personally really like linksys stuf but there are cheaper options that'll do the same thing.

Associate
OP
Getting there ! Thanks so far...
So all ineed to order is...

One of those Linksys jobs
and a MS wireless adapter...

One last thing, i've been reading you need an ethernet port on your PC to connect to...i'm pretty sure i don't have one atm.

Is that another thing i gotta buy, if so, what do i need?

Permabanned
bruce said:
Getting there ! Thanks so far...
So all ineed to order is...

One of those Linksys jobs
and a MS wireless adapter...

One last thing, i've been reading you need an ethernet port on your PC to connect to...i'm pretty sure i don't have one atm.

Is that another thing i gotta buy, if so, what do i need?

The ethernet port looks a lot like a telephone socket, it'll be on the back of your PC.
How old is your PC? If you don't have an ethernet port then you can buy a network card for a tenner or so. Alternatively you can simply plug in a USB dongle and go wireless that way. However for intitial set up of the wireless network it is likely to be easier with a network cable/ethernet port.

A part of me is thinking that you should head over to the network section on these forums and get in touch with the guys there. They might be able to help you when it comes to setting it all up better than I can.

Back
Top Bottom