Multiple OS found

Associate
Have already asked this ages ago but search can't find it. On start-up (XP Home) it pauses a while saying there are two OS's, before going on to load. This comes from a slightly cocked up install. I know there's a way of stopping xp looking for multiple os's - anyone remember how?

Associate
If you open up boot.ini found int he root of your C:\ Drive you'll see something like this...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Just get rid of the wrong instance of

...and you that should solve your problem

Associate
OP
Where does that file live? I know you said the root but Search finds nothing but boot.ini backup which i can't view. Also how do I know which instance of the OS is the dodgy one?

Soldato
If they're both the same, delete one of them. It only asks because there are two, it doesn't notice that they're identical.

the boot.ini file is hidden and system, and it's usually on C:\boot.ini. You'll need to change folder options to allow you to see hidden and system, and possibly Operating System files too.

Alternatively, goto system properties. Goto the Advanced tab. Click settings next to Startup and Recovery. Click Edit to open boot.ini.

Associate
OP
The reason for the conflict is that i partitioned on first install and stuck xp on to D instead of C, so had to redo it. XP was deleted from d but i still get the message.

Back
Top Bottom