• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Have I broken my Opteron 146?

Associate
When I first installed my Opteron 146 I managed to bend one of the pins flat causing it not to POST, I managed to straighten it and it now POSTs but it it overheating badly - 51 C IDLE and 80 C after it has crashed when running Prime 95.

I had to change the heatsink bracket as I broke the one originally on the board (probably due to the screwdriver tab braking off when I tested the processor in another board at work ran at 30 C in BIOS for 2 1/2 hours - this has been a nightmare build) - I used another from another board and the heatsink seems secure.

I have another board I can transfer the processor to, I am thinking of trying reseating in this board first.

Also Prime 95 fails immediately with the memory in slots 1 & 2 :confused:

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved - I've had my kit since Thursday evening and am starting to get frustrated - I was hoping to install my water cooling today but need to find out it the problem is the CPU or Motherboard first. Currently 57 C in Speedfan. :(

Spec :

Asrock Dual SATA
Opteron 146
Geil 2GB Value Kit
Akasa PAX Power 460W
Gainward 6600GT

Associate
OP
I removed the heatsink and the processor was stuck to it, I don't know if the Artic Silver 5 has gone off but it had gone really thick.

One of the pins has come off from the center of the CPU - I found it on the socket - it is intact but I don't know how this will affect performance or how I could reattach it. :(

Temp is now 43 Cin Speedfan.

Associate
OP
I had a quick look on AMD's website but couldn't see anthing about which pins do what, also google shows places that will reattach but only in the US.

I will have to have a play with it and see if I can overclock now, the problem is I have just spent £825 on the rest of my components so can't really afford another whilst this is repaired, I paid a premium for the processor from an auction site for the stepping - CABYE 0540 FPMW.

Associate
If the pins still in the socket then it should be ok as it will still make contact with the place it was on the processor. Sounds like you had some dodgy artic silver. Try cleaning it all up and applying new thermal compound.

Associate
OP
The artic silver is about 2 years old I remember it being difficult to spread.

The pin was lying on the socket so I have left it out for now - I'll try it when I swap to water cooling.

Going to see if it will overclock, I cleaned of some of the artic silver and spread the rest thinner - currently 43 C in Speedfan for the last hour - hopefully some good news at last.

Associate
OP
I did this morning, I bought a 148 from an auction site but the seller has e-mailed me to say he has damaged a pin removing it from his PC - seems suspicious to me - I won it at starting price - I think maybe he was expecting more - the auction was ending at 5 this morning though so I didn't think there would be any snipers.

Associate
Cody said:
I did this morning, I bought a 148 from an auction site but the seller has e-mailed me to say he has damaged a pin removing it from his PC - seems suspicious to me - I won it at starting price - I think maybe he was expecting more - the auction was ending at 5 this morning though so I didn't think there would be any snipers.

edited..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom