Never gets any easier... (damn expensive hobby)

Associate
After my missed work opportunity last week, I decided it was really high time I got myself a flashgun.
So a just ordered myself a Sigma DG 500. Reportly a decent enough piece of kit, and much cheaper than more high-end stuff...

.... Except it's not that easy is it?
Somehow a 350D battery grip and a new 72mm polariser found there way into the shopping basket :eek: :( Quite how I let myself place the order, I'll never know.

Guess I'll be living off beans on toast for a couple of months eh?
On the plus side, apparently one of my images is going to put on public display at a small exhibition next month. Nothing special, but it's nice to think I'm slowly moving up the ladder :)

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Well done on the exhibition.

Yes I am already finding that this hobby quickly can become quite expensive, fortunately for me starting up with Digital SLR stuff fell around Christmas and 21st birthday time so my only real outlay I have had to make from the beginning has been the Canon 70-200 which I bought last week.

The costs being banded around Fredmiranda always astound me, I don't think i could ever spend that much on some of the stuff they get purely for 'hobby' purposes!

Caporegime
Put it this way, it is so much cheaper now. only 5 years ago you would have to factor in the running cost of photography (Films, developing and prints). Now days that factor has virtually removed with digital, just a 1 off payment of the gear, most people already have a PC so that factor has taken out. Photoshop elements isn't that expensive (about 10 rolls of Fuji Velvia), so in one way photograph has gone a lot more "user friendly" and wallet friendly.

olv

olv

Soldato
Just (well 2 weeks ago but only been home this weekend to get it!) got myself a 10D off ebay and i'm already finding it's an expensive hobby. Totally worth it though. been out shooting with it this weekend and it's just so much fun. So easy to just keep spending though.

I need to fight off the urge for a sigma 10-20 now :D

Associate
eep i`ve just done the same thing lol

Ordered the following >>

Sigma EF 500 DG Super Flashgun Canon £145.00

Sigma 58mm Circular Polariser EX £34.00

Canon BG E3 £105.00

Total £294 delivered :=)

All for a little more than a Canon 550ex would have cost too.

I`d actually had those in my basket all day as i couldnt make up my mind. Now all i need is for Canon to get their finger out and send my camera back to me !

Associate
Not wanting to anoy you to much but Opteka make and exact copy of the canon (BG E3) battery grip and it sells for $60 even with delivey it only works out about £55.

Man of Honour
Raymond Lin said:
Put it this way, it is so much cheaper now. only 5 years ago you would have to factor in the running cost of photography (Films, developing and prints). Now days that factor has virtually removed with digital, just a 1 off payment of the gear, most people already have a PC so that factor has taken out. Photoshop elements isn't that expensive (about 10 rolls of Fuji Velvia), so in one way photograph has gone a lot more "user friendly" and wallet friendly.
But that just means we all buy more accessories, filters, lens types, maybe a spare body or two....on and on and on and on, it never stops :D

Soldato
Must be the week for it i've ordered Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG APO HSM LOL PSP OcUK YUM YUM :p
oh and a 77mm Hoya Skylight filter :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
It does get damn expensive very quickly, started out with a 350D plus battery grip. Then got a canon 17 - 40 F4L a Canon Pixima ip8500 printer, a Speedlight 580 and a couple of Lowepro Bags, oh and a 77mm circular polarising filter, a Sandisk UltraII 1 GB memory card

And now I want a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG APO, a decent tripod and head and a canon 50mm f1.4 usm lens, and one other overlaping the 40 to 70 range, thought about the Canon EF 24-105mm f 4 L IS USM, but it's F4 and I would really like something that goes to 2.8 but I dont think that is available yet and I hate to think how much such a lens would cost.

Ooops, missed this one out, me wrong.
Canon 24 - 70mm f 2.8 L USM Lens , and ouch at the cost!!!!.

Oh and there's one more thing I would like even more!, some free time!.

Anyway, that's what I would like!, can't see myself owning that lot for some time though!.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom