• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Scythe Ninja

Associate
Just wondering if anyone has got one and how easy are they to install. They look to be clip on from the pics I've seen, anything like the TR XP series?

Associate
I will be able to tell you over the weekened as I've just ordered one that should arrive tomorrow. I will use it as a comparison for the Typhoon I have now, and was mainly purchased to aid air flow.

Associate
OP
Cheers mate. I was gonna go for the TR SI-120 as I had one before and it was pretty easy to install but I really fancy one of those Ninja's:)

Associate
I have the scythe ninja :) . To be honest with you, it's quite tricky to install, and I found myself using a LOT of power to push it on. Once you've got it on it sits perfectly. The first time I was afraid I damaged something, but fortunately I didn't.
Mine is absolutely quiet along with my papst 18db 120mm fan :) . I can't wait to see a comparison between the big typhoon and this one ;) . But I love the fact that the air is getting blown backwards in my case, straight to my 120mm exhaust fan.

Associate
Well the beast arrived today, and I'll fit it tomorrow. I can tell you already though that it looks like it's going to be easier to put in place than the Typhoon. The Typhoon comes with screws you screw through a spring loaded "clip" (not really a clip) while the thing is on the motherboard. You need a bit of space for that, and my Antec P150 is a bit too small making it hard to screw the top screw properly. It was a tricky job getting it on, and after three attempts I'm still not sure I got it entirely right.

The Ninja comes with a retention bracket that you put in place of the one that's on the motherboard (which I had to remove for the Typhoon anyway, so it's gone), and a backplate if there is none with the motherboard (there is one already attached on my A8N32). Screw the bracket into place, then clip the Ninja onto the retention bracket using the two spring loaded clips. Looks easy, but I'm probably tempting fate ;)

Permabanned
I have one and thought it was one of easiest HS I've ever put on. Even easier than my XP-120. (My motherboard is always out of my case whenever I change HS)

Associate
I got one of these yesterday along with the ASRock Dual Sata and an X2 3800.
It was pretty easy to fit, although it took a bit of force to get the last clip in place.

Soldato
Just a word of warning....

That backplate that comes with the ninja is VERY VERY EVIL, its metalic and I found after the installation all was ok but randomly my PC would restart/shutdown or sometimes wouldnt even switch on.

Went thru 100+ hour diagnostic mode/testing memory/p/s and hdd and cpu in end was about to give up but then thought what have I changed recently and yeap the ninja !

Ended up fitting on the old AMD stock heatsink and didnt get the issues so fitted the old AMD PLASTIC mobo backplate heatsink and then modded it with longer screws so the ninja fitted on perfectly.

Turned out it was somehow shorting out my mobo...

Sorta a nightmare lol but got there in the end and the 120mm silent fan thats on it is awesome.

Yeah the clips a bit hard to get on the more u put it on and off the looser it gets though...

Associate
HighlandeR said:
Just a word of warning....

That backplate that comes with the ninja is VERY VERY EVIL, its metalic and I found after the installation all was ok but randomly my PC would restart/shutdown or sometimes wouldnt even switch on.

Went thru 100+ hour diagnostic mode/testing memory/p/s and hdd and cpu in end was about to give up but then thought what have I changed recently and yeap the ninja !

Ended up fitting on the old AMD stock heatsink and didnt get the issues so fitted the old AMD PLASTIC mobo backplate heatsink and then modded it with longer screws so the ninja fitted on perfectly.

Turned out it was somehow shorting out my mobo...

Sorta a nightmare lol but got there in the end and the 120mm silent fan thats on it is awesome.

Yeah the clips a bit hard to get on the more u put it on and off the looser it gets though...

I guess you put it on with the foam thing against the mobo, and not the metal? :p Well no problems for me, the isolating works fine, and seems a lot more robust than those made of plastic(would be surprised if it wasn't, as it's made of solid metal :D )

Associate
After a bit delay, it's attached. I'm kind of undecided if it was easy or not :D Actually fitting the retention bracket obviously is easy, but it takes a bit of power to clip the Ninja into it, trying ot make sure you don't lift up parts of it. I may have to redo it again, but I won't unless I really have to.

It is possible the Ninja can block one of your ram slots, though, as the clips do on mine (A8N32). Perhaps a 'normal' sized memory module will fit, but I doubt it. I had to move my XMS3500LL from slots 1 and 3 to 2 and 4.

Temps are roughly the same, so not really any difference, but airflow should be better.

Associate
I just fitted a ninja last week and noticed it blocking one of the RAM slots on my DFI nf4 ultra-d. I didn't worry about it until I realised that was one of the slots you are recommended to use. When I tried to put one of my corsair sticks in it worked fine, you just have to put the stick at an angle before pressing it into the slot.

Associate
Just thinking about ordering one of these. Can anyone think of a better air cooler - zalman 9500 maybe. Also anyone know of any probs when fitting to a dfi expert board?

Also with it being heatpipe does it not need to mount so its vertical and so not so good in standard tower cases?

Last edited:
Soldato
sablabra said:
I guess you put it on with the foam thing against the mobo, and not the metal? :p Well no problems for me, the isolating works fine, and seems a lot more robust than those made of plastic(would be surprised if it wasn't, as it's made of solid metal :D )

Course with the foam bit against the mobo, but I had to take it off after swopping mobos and then noticed the prob had vanished.... and thats the nasty thing its a sticky foam so bits of it stuck to the old mobo.

But thats not where my prob lied even with the foam bit stuck against the mobo it was shorting out.

Using the AMD stock plastic one solved the problem, so excellent heatsink the ninja be but using a metalic back plate was the worst thing from them..... they should have wondered why AMD used a plastic plate and others also or made it compatible with the existing AMD plate so u wouldnt have to change and take out the whole mobo.

Its ok once its done and setup.... I have the abit AV8 ultra, and judging from the DFI and perhaps other mobos theres less concern on the back of the mobo, the AV8 has chips/transistors everywhere so not surprised it shorted so easily.

Associate
Well the beast arrived today, and I'll fit it tomorrow. I can tell you already though that it looks like it's going to be easier to put in place than the Typhoon. The Typhoon comes with screws you screw through a spring loaded "clip" (not really a clip) while the thing is on the motherboard. You need a bit of space for that, and my Antec P150 is a bit too small making it hard to screw the top screw properly. It was a tricky job getting it on, and after three attempts I'm still not sure I got it entirely right.

The Ninja comes with a retention bracket that you put in place of the one that's on the motherboard (which I had to remove for the Typhoon anyway, so it's gone), and a backplate if there is none with the motherboard (there is one already attached on my A8N32). Screw the bracket into place, then clip the Ninja onto the retention bracket using the two spring loaded clips. Looks easy, but I'm probably tempting fate ;)

Did you find the ninja better than the big typhoon in the end. Not sure whether to go for a ninja or big typhoon to replace my xp120

Associate
Did you find the ninja better than the big typhoon in the end. Not sure whether to go for a ninja or big typhoon to replace my xp120
Not so far, but I need to re-do the AS5 when I can be bothered. If you're happy with the XP-120 and there is no reason to change, I wouldn't bother. If you're worried about memory slots being blocked, I'd get the Typhoon. If you're worried about case airflow, I'd get the Ninja. Overall, everything taken into account, the Ninja should 2-3C cooler than the Typhoon under the same circumstances. In terms of mounting them (in the case, as that's what I did), the Typhoon is easier - to get the Ninja clipped into place you need to apply some steady force.

Back
Top Bottom