What 19" gaming LCD has best chance of no dead pixels

Soldato
A bit of background first :
A while back againt the advice of friends I sold my dead pixel free sweet Dell 2405fpw. Used it mainly for watching divx and playing games on my 360. Not really playing PC games. Anyway, I wanted a bigger screen (LCD TV), and now after going through an LG, Sony Bravia and a Samsung 40" job, I am back where I started. I have a separate thread in the a/v forums about my misfortunes here. Anyway, LCD TV's in my view are much lower quality then PC LCD's - they all have smearing, terrible on terrestrial tv, and are just unsuitable for web browsing (too low res). So the Samsung goes back to the shop the day after tommorrow for dead pixel reasons, and I get a refund (*was financed half in cash and half by credit agreement *).

For my TV watching, DVD's and Divx's, I will be sticking with my Sony 32" 100hz TV and I recently bought a Samsung DVD/Div'x player, so that will do fine for watching divx's. However I will need to find something in a hurry to connect the PC up to and run my 360 in high def. Already tried to convince guy I sold 2405fpw to sell it back but no luck. There is a small chance a friend of mine will sell me his Dell 21" CRT which would be ideal as it has dual VGA inputs so will run my PC (1600x1200) and 360 (1366x768).

This brings me to my question - if I decide to go back to LCD, then a 19" would be the best option as the 360 vga cable support 1280x1024. But I am so paranoid about dead pixels.

1. Which panel do you think I would have best chance at getting no dead pixels.

2. Which panel has the least ghosting. Very important that.

3. Is the VGA connection for flat panels up to snuff. I tried it once on my 2405fpw hooked to my pc and it kept autoadjusting the screen and fonts would get jaggy from time to time. My hope is the 360 would run perfectly on one of these flatpanels.

Man of Honour
1. Which panel do you think I would have best chance at getting no dead pixels.
Impossible to tell! It really is pot luck. Only way to guarantee a pixel perfect screen is to buy it from somewhere you can see it first. Other than that, you can rely on the 7 day distance selling act to return a screen for any reason you like within this time. Might give you a bit of piece of mind.

2. Which panel has the least ghosting. Very important that.

In the 19" market, the Samsung 930BF, Hyundai Q90U and Viewsonic VX922/VX924 are arguably the fastest panels in the whole market, and are ideally suited to gaming really. All very good models, and in terms of responsiveness, not much between them.

3. Is the VGA connection for flat panels up to snuff. I tried it once on my 2405fpw hooked to my pc and it kept autoadjusting the screen and fonts would get jaggy from time to time. My hope is the 360 would run perfectly on one of these flatpanels.

Not sure what you're asking here really. VGA connections on TFT's vary in quality from one model to the next. Some have very good quality connections, some are not so good.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help there. I might get the Viewsonic then. Probably from OcUK. Not sure if the Distance Selling Act applies to Ireland though.

What I meant on my 3rd question, you pretty much answered. VGA connection quality depends on the screen. I thought the Dell 2405FPW's was pretty poor.

Man of Honour
the Dell screens have always had below par VGA connections really, but the massive res of the 2405FPW comes into play here as well, since you are asking the interface chip to handle a hell of a conversion :) Distance Selling Act should apply anywhere really since it is set up for interent sales since youa re not able to be present at the point of sale. Check out the details about it here

Associate
my xerox has been ace the 19 8ms
however every dell ive seen or used has been crystal clear and no dead pixels despite being on all the time (nhs screens)

Associate
Ive the Samsung 930bf and cant praise highly enough!! the 4ms rate is magic for games, with nigh on zero ghosting! well built, fantastic colur, decent brightness and contrast ratios and a really good price on O`Cers...........take the plunge, you wont be disappointed!

Ant

Back
Top Bottom