Are GCSEs worth anything?

Soldato
I've just started my AS levels (well, sixth months ago) and I'm wondering what my GCSEs were for, apart from getting me into this sixth form.

I got 2A*s, 3As, 5Bs, and one F (Religious Education :/)

Will my GCSEs have any practical use apart from getting me into my current sixth form?

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Off the top of my head: I think some Universities care what grades, and if you want to go into something like teaching then it matters as they want A-C in English and Maths (And Sciences if you want to do primary school teaching I think).

Soldato
Depends really.

Universities can look at your GCSEs under certain circumstances. Say if they get lots of applicants with similar A Levels they look back to GCSEs to see if you constantly perform well.

But i mean, now that im at uni i feel like the A levels are miles away compared to the degree work.

Soldato
yeh

i cant do a foundation degree on a certain course because my gcse grades are too good.

however on the same course i cant join the full degree because i wont get the ucas points needed.

pickle, so if i totally failed gcses, and not do great at college.... BINGO, i get onto the foundation degree.... where as now i have to do another course at uni

Associate
your gcse grades correlates with your degree classification much more than your alevel grades

they also matter for camb, ox, lse etc etc but DONT exclude you from getting in - more like a bonus than a requirement

Last edited:
Soldato
Having good GCSE's will save you a lot of hassle when trying to get into college, not so much for uni but they're still good to have. Also, when applying for jobs you won't really get that far if you didn't finish school.

Soldato
I know some medical schools are starting to require a certain number of A*'s at GCSE as the competition is just getting too much for them to discern between candidates.

Associate
Killerkebab said:
So could my GCSEs (see first post), for instance, stop me from getting into a good university?

no single factor can stop you getting into a good university really - although it does contribute - depends what course you want to go for and what uni.

Associate
whats a good uni? and what do u want to read?

and as i said, its not really a black and white issue, it will obv help to have straight stars or whatever but its not like if ui dont have 6*s (or some other arbitrary number) you are screwed

Permabanned
Depends what you class as good? and also depends on what course you are doing.

Give us an idea of how high you are aiming and a you'll get a accurate responce.

Soldato
Good universities will usually take them into account, especially on oversubscribed courses.

Applying to Oxford for Medicine with, e.g., EEEDDCEUF or similar at GCSE would probably raise some eyebrows, but it won't matter so much at other institutions.

Yours probably won't count for or against you really, unless you're applying to either the premier-league or bottom universities.

Soldato
OP
Crispy Pigeon said:
Yours probably won't count for or against you really, unless you're applying to either the premier-league or bottom universities.

Define "premier-league".

Phnom_Penh said:
No. How the hell'd you get an F though lol :p

By not knowing anything, really. They didn't allow me to drop the subject, even though I'd told them that RE is one of those subjects which my education in France didn't cover.

Soldato
Killerkebab said:
Define "premier-league".

Like Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College London. The old institutions with tonnes of competition, that require minimum AAA at A2 level and usually still interview or equire extra forms when applying.

Permabanned
If you're aiming for Oxbridge or LSE, or you are applying for Medicine/Vetinery medicine or law(at top institutions) you will need top GCSEs as well as at least 3 As.

Soldato
fwiw, im currently looking for a placement for my 3rd year, and some of the big companies DO take your GCSE grades into account, IBM for example do this, theres no way I could get a job there as my C grade GCSE English is not good enough.

Back
Top Bottom