Weirdest pizza delivery ever - Card purchase question

Man of Honour
I was working an evening shift tonight and got out of work at about 2130. I came home and as there was nothing in the fridge for tea I thought I'd get a pizza. I didn't have any cash on me so I called Pizza Hut and paid with my card over the phone. All fine so far, until the delivery guy comes.

The doorbell rings and I go answer. The person at the other side walks into my house, pushing me out of the way. I wasn't too sure what was happening so I grabbed the guy around the waist and tried to pull him to the ground, I thought I was being robbed. I didn't get him to the ground but I managed to chuck him toward the door. He asks me what I'm doing and I say "GET THE **** OUT!!"
It was the pizza guy. He had left the pizza on the doorstep and for some reason seen fit to just push me out of the way and walk in. Apparently because it was dark outside, he reckoned it was OK to come into the light and look at the receipt. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, he asked me to sign the card purchase receipt. I paid with my Maestro debit card and the receipt was a 'Card holder not present' one. There was no space for a signature. I told him I didn't need to sign it and he agreed but said I should just put my signature on it anyway, supposedly a pizza hut thing. I refused at which point he told me that he wouldn't give me the pizza if I didn't sign. I tried to explain that I didn't have to sign but he was having none of it so I took the receipt, wrote in handwriting which looks nothign like mine "Mr. ******* Naked" and gave it to him. I gave him a mouthful about just walking into my house and left it at that.

What I want to know is, was there anything dodgy about the signature? I found it strange that he was pushing for a signature even though it wasn't required. Since they got all my card details over the phone, including the security code I was reluctant to sign with my proper signature hence the '******* Naked'.

Should I inform my bank or was it perfectly fine?

Soldato
Last time i paid with my card they asked me to pay cash at the door, so i promptly refused and got a "guess i'll believe you this time" from the guy. I think Pizza Hut have a fairly shoddy card system which is why that was the last time i ordered from there with a card :)

Edit : Oh and you can ask your bank to monitor your account for suspicious activity which shouldn't require too much but it means you'll have to authorise just about every payment over the phone to your bank.

Caporegime
Last night i tried to order on the phone from Domino's and they refused! Apaprently with Chip and Pin thing means they no longer take orders over the phone. I would use the net but they don't have the same deal as the store, nor can you make half and half toppings on a net Order. I ended up having to walk and pay for it, when i got back the pizza was barely warm since it was so cold outside and they don't have any plastic bags big enough to put the box it.

Associate
Raymond Lin said:
Last night i tried to order on the phone from Domino's and they refused! Apaprently with Chip and Pin thing means they no longer take orders over the phone. I would use the net but they don't have the same deal as the store, nor can you make half and half toppings on a net Order. I ended up having to walk and pay for it, when i got back the pizza was barely warm since it was so cold outside and they don't have any plastic bags big enough to put the box it.

Ooh, you can make half and half toppings now on net orders if you couldn't before :)

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah the pizza was good, I could only eat half of it though.

I don't know why he left the pizza on the ground, maybe because it was in one of those big bulky bags. My doorway is quite tight..

So with the details I have given them, and a potential signature which could be forged, would an intent person be able to make fradulent transactions to my account?

Associate
Scuzi said:
So with the details I have given them, and a potential signature which could be forged, would an intent person be able to make fradulent transactions to my account?

I have a feeling they can! :(

Like what's been said before, contact your bank and tell them what's happened. They'll be able to monitor your account. :)

Soldato
Scuzi said:
Yeah the pizza was good, I could only eat half of it though.

I don't know why he left the pizza on the ground, maybe because it was in one of those big bulky bags. My doorway is quite tight..

Signatures are no longer valid, all stores must have implemented chip&pin by the 14th of feb.

Soldato
All this talk of pizza is making me hungry...

I'd head down to the branch you bought the pizza from and have strong words with the manager about the conduct of his staff if I were you, you might even get a free pizza :p .

Soldato
Not sure about pizza hut but i've paid a couple of times using a credit card while ordering from dominos and no problems. They asked for number and expiry date and thats about it. The delivery guy just gave me the pizza and asked me to sign a slip of which i got a copy.

Caporegime
Big Chris said:
All this talk of pizza is making me hungry...

I'd head down to the branch you bought the pizza from and have strong words with the manager about the conduct of his staff if I were you, you might even get a free pizza :p .

Thats what i would do but when i order pizza hut i pay by my switch card and they make me sign the receipt but i dont get some idiot walking into my house just liek that :p:D

Seriously i would complain

Soldato
Nothing they could do with it to be honest Scuzi :)

Signatures are basically void now, plus the card details they have they wouldnt be able to program into a cloned card without swiping it - and if they wanna use it online then the signature is needed anyway.

I wouldnt worry about it

Soldato
thats pretty mucked up that he came in without the pizza lol, i do some deliveries for the local chinese, and i never run into the persons house even if its pitch black outside (which it has sometimes)

Soldato
Looking from the point of the delivery guy I can understand why he put the pizza down if it was in one those big bags. They are pretty bulky and not too light as they have a pretty heavy disc inside them that keeps it hot.

On the whole credit card signing thing, they probably don't have any knowledge of card procedures or whatever as you tend to get told squat when you work for these sort of companies. The whole barging in thing is a little rude but not inexplicable.

Permabanned
That is seriously out of order Scuzi! Deciding to walk in as if he owned the place is one thing, but pushing the person who answers the door out of the way as well??? Cheeky git!
Definitely complain about his behaviour mate - it might be someone with a dodgy heart he tries it on next time.

Associate
Ex-RoNiN said:
Signatures are no longer valid, all stores must have implemented chip&pin by the 14th of feb.
Not true - not all stores have been able to implement it yet (some John Lewis I think, and for example my co-op hasn't yet). Also some RBS PhotoID Switch cards have not been replaced with a chip card yet (but are still valid).

Back
Top Bottom